1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 25, 2009 1:57 PM by buckerss RSS

dp55wg nic issue...another one!!! system wont sleep

buckerss Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

its not enough that the initial driver that came with this board does not allow this nic to preform past 10mbps (updated driver allows it to connect in full duplex 1 gbps).  but now it seems as thought i cannot get my computer (windows 7 x64, fresh install) to sleep.

whenever my computer goes to sleep, forcible or automatically, it sleeps for about 1 second, after powering down hard disks, etc. and then it will power back up right away and bring me to the login screen. (this pattern of the system falling into an idle state, engaging in sleep mode and automatically popping out of it instantaneously occurs at infinitum.

i have tried all types of stupid (noob) fixes, ie MM sharing in power options, or disabling the nic to bring my computer out of sleep

(which by the way i do want the option of doing, at least by ways of magic packet, however for the purpose of diagnosing the problem i was willing to disable this feature to ensure that it was/ or was not causing the issue....it wasn't).

yet this problem persists.  i have managed to note that in event viewer, it does list the nic as the component which is bringing the computer out of S3.

also, i have noted that when i pull out (my network cable), it (computer, not wife) sleeps fine.

this is ******* irritating and leaves me to believe its another driver related issue.

• 1. Re: dp55wg nic issue...another one!!! system wont sleep
    buckerss Community Member
    Currently Being Moderated

****** i think that gave me a hernia.

under device manager/network connections/power management there is a 4th option in the wake on LAN window that i could not see as the resolution of the window isnt very large.  i realized, contrary to my belief the side scrolling arrows were there for show, you could actually press the one pointing in the downwards direction once to reveal one last *hidden, mystical* option.

Wake on Pattern Match !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muther ******

Enables this device to bring the computer out of standby or hibernation when  a packet is sent directly to the adapter.

For example, any attempt to remotely access files stored on the computer will  wake it.

how brilliant .....

in all honestly, im not entirely sure what that means, and there is probably a perfectly good use for this option, BUT if it causes such insomniac behavior among pcs, then it should not be enabled by DEFAULT!!!!

my new windows 7 x64 pc now sleeps like a baby.

thanks me, im great.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...