1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 10:07 AM by ricardog_intel

Windows 10 and Intel HD 4000: VGA not working

kronast

Hello,

a few weeks ago I upgraded my Thinkpad T530 to Windows 10 (it was a clean installation from scratch), but I never got the VGA port working.
      The notebook has a Core i7-3630 QM (with a HD 4000 GPU) and an additional Nvidia NVS 5400m. I tried several different driver combinations (the one Windows update provides, the one Lenovo offers, and also different from the intel downloadcenter directly), but even with the Nvidia card deactivated in the BIOS, the VGA port does not work.

First of all the Intel graphics configuration tool does not recognize a monitor attached, I con only activate it using [Win]+P, after that the configuration tool shows a new, generic "monitor" (not even the brand of the monitor is detected) and the only working configuration is cloning with a resolution of 1024*768. No other mode is working, either it is not possible to switch to it in the first place, or it is only active for few seconds, then all screens become black and a few seconds later everything starts over again.

When I only use the Nvidia card (with the appropriate Bios setting), the VGA works fine.
      On Windows 8.1 I did not have any problems with the driver provided in the Intel downloadcenter.

Does somebody has similar problems? And (hopefully) a fix for them?

Best regards,
      Stefan

PS:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

The VGA port is not working correctly (e.g. use a external monitor as the only display via VGA is not possible)

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Thinkpad T530

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Nvidia NVS 5400m avaiable, but problem also exists with only the Intel HD 4000 activated (when the Nvidia card is disbaled in the Bios)

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

External 24" 1920*1200 (tested with a Dell and a HP monitor)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_21F517AA&REV_09

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_21F517AA

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 64bit

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

currently Intel 10.18.10.4276 and Nvidia 355.85

SW/Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.

A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Connect a VGA display

2. Try to activate it with 1920*1200 as the only display

1 2 Previous Next