9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 12:39 PM by ivanu_intel

NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive

Vourles

Hi,

I've got a NUC5i3RYK unit with 2x4GB DDR3L-1600 RAM and a M2 Transcend TS64GMTS800 SSD drive.

I've installed on the SSD Drive a Windows 7 Pro without any problem. I've let the NUC on a table for a moment (1 month) and when I restart it today, it doesn't want to boot on the SSD Drive, arguing that no bootable media was found.

I've taken another NUC5i3RYK unit and placed on it the SSD drive and the RAM drive and then power it up, and it boot on Windows 7!

On the faulty NUC, I've upgraded the BIOS, but it doesn't change anything. I've compared the BIOS settings on both units, and they are the same.

I'm really lost. Was someone placed in the same situation?

Many thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
          Vourles

Just a few more info, on the BIOS Devices->SATA->M.2 SATA field, the hard drive is recognized.

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
            yonasz

Do you update bios to 0350 ?? If yes read this https://intel-openport-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/80504?start=0&tstart=0   There is some problems with legacy boot with 0350 bios and ryk ....

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
              Vourles

Hi Yonasz,

I've downgraded the faulty NUC to bios 246, which is the same as the woking unit.

I've set exactly the same BIOS settings on both units, but it doesn't change anything, it doesn't detect any boot device.

Another idea?

Thanks,

• 4. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
                ivanu_intel

Hi

Please access the BIOS and press F9 on your keyboard to set the BIOS to the default settings select yes and then press F10 to save the changes and try again.

If that does not help, please try accessing the BIOS uncheck UEFI and make sure only legacy boot is checked, also I recommend doing a fresh operating system installation just make sure in the BIOS under devices in the USB tab the xHCI is disabled so you can use the mouse and keyboard while you’re installing Windows, then press F10 to save the changes.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
                  LoneWolfIT

Since this is not yet answered I'm going to jump in cause I am having the same issue. I am a sys admin for a dealership and we have several NUC5i3RYK's in use that I have purchased over the past 3 months. This issue has happened to a couple of the NUC's we have. It starts when the computer will boot up to a black screen with no mouse. I have been able to save most of them by re-applying an image that I have saved when setting these up however I am now in the same situation with two of them. Here is current info:

NUC5i3RYK

Transcend 64Gb SSd

Crucial 4Gb DDR4 RAM

Steps taken:

Flash CMOS

Update BIOS

Tried SSD in another known good unit, works fine

Tried booting to USB for both Acronis 2013 as well as Linux Mint 17 (all USB's show in the BIOS as "UEFI : HL-DT-STDVDRAM", normally shows as "General UDisk")

Set BIOS to default

Tried with legacy boot disabled

the M.2 SSD does show in the BIOS (Part 0 : OS Bootloader)

Getting error: A bootable device has not been detected.

After chatting with support the resolution has been to replace both units but since this is a re-occurring thing I am reaching out to the community for advice. These computers are in use every day and taking the time to send the unit in and wait for replacement is bad for business....

Cheers!

• 6. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
                    LoneWolfIT

Another quick note,

Running Windows 7 Pro

• 7. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
                      ivanu_intel

Just checking – is your BIOS version 0355?

I understand that you tried this SSD in another system and it is working fine… by any chance, are you able to try a different model of SSD with these units?

Do you have the Model number for the SSD you are using?

Please see the SSDs tested with this Intel® NUC at the following link:

Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kits NUC5i3RY/NUC5i5RY/NUC5i7RY

These tested products work OK with this Intel® NUC, is it possible for you to try one of those?

Honestly I don’t see on the list a M.2 Transcend 64 GB SSD and maybe this can be some compatibility problem but the best way to know if this is true is to try one of the SSDs listed on the tested peripherals.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 8. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
                        LoneWolfIT

BIOS was updated and is currently on 0355.

I've also tried a Samsung SSD which gave the same issue, however it's not listed on the tested devices. The model that I used is: MZ-N5E120  Samsung SSD 850 EVO.

When I tried the SSD in another device it was the exact same NUC model that had the same BIOS and RAM installed, not to say that it's a sure fire way of telling but it's something.

I will see about getting one of the tested SSD's and next time this happens, (with the track record I've had with these its only a matter of time) I will try using one those and see what happens.

• 9. Re: NUC5i3RYK doesn't want to boot on my M2 SSD drive
                          ivanu_intel

Hi,

Thanks for your response and if you can test the Intel® NUC with one of the tested hard drives please let me know how it goes.

I look forward to hearing from.                                                                                                                 

Regards,

Ivan