1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 9:31 AM by Intel_Peter

Drone : Edison low level flight controller ?

redafenj

Hello,

I googled about Edison and Drones, but mostly only find Edison as a companion chip to do Telemetry or Computer Vision. All Low Level Flight control was handled with other chip/board....

Do you know if there an existing project that I can join/contribute to do this ?

I do not see technical blocker that could prevent Edison to be a complete Drone solution with low level flight control. The MCU SDK should provide RT capabilities so I do not see why motors can not be driven by an Edison board. Does anybody knows if I am wrong or not ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Drone : Edison low level flight controller ?
          Intel_Peter

Hello redafenj,

The company 3D Robotics has a Drone (IRIS+) based on the Edison. Their prototype was based on the Arduino Expansion board. It could be of your interest.

You can also find a project using Edison as companion computer for a Drone in Edison for Drones | Developer.

The document Intel Academic Drone might be of your interest.

I too share your opinion. I do not see why the Edison wouldn't be able to fully control a drone. As you mentioned the Edison has RF (such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) capabilities that makes it convenient to control a drone. If you decide to continue your project and build a drone based on Edison, it would be very interesting and I encourage you to share it on the community.

Peter.