Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

dual monitors on HP Deskpro 400 and HD Graphics 4600?

VHamm
Beginner

Hello All -

The school at which I am a technologist purchased 90 HP Deskpro 400s.

The computers contain an Intel HD Graphics 4600.

About 25 of these are slated for dual monitors and have both a VGA and a DVI-D Dual Link output.

I have connected one of the Deskpros to two monitors, both are an HP L1706 and I want to do an extended display on these two monitors.

One is connected to the VGA output and works just fine. The other is connected to the DVI via a VGA - DVI adapter.

Nothing appears on the monitor connected to the DVI at all. In fact, the power light on that monitor stays amber.

I talked to HP support and they said the arrangement I want would work.

I have done everything I can think of to solve the problem, starting with basics (restarting after physical connection, updating drivers, etc.).

I have also gone through BIOS to look for a pertinent setting and on the motherboard itself for a possible jumper or whatever.

Still no good.

Is it possible to do an extended display under these conditions?

Thanks to anyone able to help!!!

Vincent

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AP16
Valued Contributor III

The DVI-D interface cannot be converted to VGA - it contains only TMDS digital signal lines. You need a PC with DVI-I ports, but such configuration is unusual for integrated graphics. In your case the only ways are:

- use second monitors with DVI ports (not yours L1706)

- install a separate graphics cards into PCs (even G210-like should be enough, just check that DVI interface on it is DVI-I, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface# /media/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg wikipedia to help)

0 Kudos