7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 11:22 PM by Cesar Badilla

Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?

Parika

Hi there!

Im a new menber and a new (and happy) NUC owner (model NUC5I5RYK). I have a question if its possible to output both analog sound (from the headphone jack) and digital sound (from HDMI) at the same time? The reason Im asking is that I have a Sony reciever with zone 2 functionality and I have a couple of speakers in the next room that I want playing the same sound as my 5.1 setup in my home theater cave. However the Sony can (for some reason) just play analog sources in zone 2.

With my Sat-TV box I solved the problem since there is both HDMI and analog sound connections. But how can I manage it with my NUC?

• 1. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
          Cesar Badilla

Hello Parika,

On Intel® NUC5i5RYK the Mini HDMI and Mini DisplayPort interfaces from the PCH support audio. The processor supports two High Definition audio streams on two digital ports simultaneously.

You may get more relevant information from here http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24565/eng/NUC5i5RYB_NUC5i3RYB_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 2. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
            Parika

Thanks Cesar!

Not sure I understood...or maybe you missunderstood my problem here. I need to output two audio streams simultaneously, but one digital and one analog. Main zone is my regular 5.1 setup with HDMI. Zone 2 has to analog since my Sony reciever doesnt have support for digital sound in zone 2.

I replaced my old Popcorn Hour media box with the NUC. With the Popcorn Hour there was both HDMI and analog connections....so I could cable it to the reciever with both HDMI and analog cables. Is that possible somehow with the NUC?

• 3. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
              Cesar Badilla

Hello Parika,

The audio subsystem supports the following features:

• Analog line-out/Analog Headphone/Analog Microphone (front panel jack)

• Support for 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/96 kHz/192 kHz sample rates on all analog outputs

• Support for 44.1 kHz/48 kHz/96 kHz sample rates on all analog inputs

• Front Panel Audio Jack Support: ― Speakers only (Stereo) ― Headphones only (Stereo) ― Microphone only (mono) ― Combo Headphone (Stereo)/Microphone (mono).

As I stated before "On Intel® NUC5i5RYK the Mini HDMI and Mini DisplayPort interfaces from the PCH support audio. The processor supports two High Definition audio streams on two digital ports simultaneously." Unfortunately, the output of both analog and digital audio simultaneously is not supported as Windows* only allows one output device at the same time.

However, there is still chance to attempt to fix this issue by following this steps(If you are running Windows* 7):

1. Open "Control Panel".

2. Click "Sound"

3. Click the "Playback" Tab

4. Right-click "Realtek Digital Output" (or the playback device you want to set as Default) and click "Set as Default Device" (if the option is not available, it is already default)

5. Click the "Recording" Tab

6. Right-click "Stereo Mix" (if it does not appear right click on the available Recording device and click "Show Disabled Devices" ) and Click "Enable" (if disabled) then Right-click "Stereo Mix" again and click "Set as Default Device" and Right-click "Stereo Mix" yet again and click "Properties"

7. Click the "Listen" tab

8. Check "Listen to this device"

9. Under "Playback through this device:" select "Speakers"

10. Click OK to close Stereo Mix Properties.

11. Click OK to close Sound Devices.

In order to ensure this procedure works the Default Playback Device must be "Realtek Digital Output" (digital) and the Default Recording Device must be "Stereo Mix" 'listening' to: "Speakers." If you set it the other way around you will not be able to enjoy any multi-channel audio because all audio outputs will be down-mixed to 2.0 audio.

Note:The analog circuit of the front panel audio connector is designed to power headphones or amplified speakers only. Poor audio quality occurs if passive (nonamplified) speakers are connected to this output.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 4. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
                Parika

Many thanks Cesar! Now I understood much better. So by default windows does not support both analog and digital audio simultaneously.

I'm running Windows 10 so maybe this workaround doesn't work...but I will check when i get home.

(To be honest it was a big disapointment when I realised that my new Sony STR-DN1050 has the Zone2 I wanted, but not for digital sources. Maybe there's hope for a fix in a firmware update...but I guess it's hardware related.)

• 5. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
                  DragonflyGA

I know HDMI to analog converters exist. And displayport to HDMI (I'm using one now). I wonder if using these two converters in tandem might be a solution.

• 6. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
                    Parika

Thanks for the tip DragonflyGA. Seems to be quite cheep converters out there. Found one HDMI to VGA converter (with audio jack). Might be possible to just use that for analog audio purpose...

• 7. Re: Output digital and analog sound at the same time on NUC?
                      Cesar Badilla

Hello Parika,

Intel® recommends the use of straight connections using high quality cables to ensure best performance. You may try the HDMI to VGA converter (with audio jack) at your own risk

Regards,

Caesar B.