8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 7:35 AM by ivanu_intel

Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).

TenChain

The severe space limitations in the Linux version of the Compute Stick will quickly become a real pain.  So I am wondering if anyone can suggest how I might install new programs onto the external media (SD card or USB drive or whatever) to get around that limitation.

Peter

• 1. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
          Choong

I guess you can technically mount an external storage device to your Linux filesystem. Depending on the applications, you might or might not be able to choose an installation destination, so you will have to take note of that. Are you familiar with Linux?

• 2. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
            TenChain

Hi Choong.  Short answer - No, I'm not.

But yes, I have no problem mounting an external drive on the Stick.  I use a RocketStor Hub which has a SATA interface and a few extra USB 3 ports.  So getting the storage into play is no problem.  Getting the programs to install to it and load from it is another matter.  Hasven't solved that one yet.

Peter

• 3. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
              Choong

Hi Peter,

Not sure if I can help, but can you tell me what programs are you planning to install?

• 4. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
                Cesar Badilla

Hello TenChain ,

In this particular case you may try moving your /home folder to the external drive at your own risk. In order to  migrate your current /Home folder to an external partition, there are four steps you may need to follow:

Note: It is important to back-up your data prior to performing this task. You may find more information here Ubuntu Forums *

1. Mount the external partition onto a temporary /home location.

2. Copy the current files from your current /home folder to a temporary /home folder.

3. Relocate the current /home folder.

4. Mount the new /home folder.

Please follow these steps:

1- Open a terminal and type the following command:

sudo blkid

2- Open the Fstab file:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

3- Add the following line at the end of the file.

UUID=xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx  /media/home    ext4          nodev,nosuid      0      2

Replace the UUID with the UUID value of the external partition, the  external HDD, SSD, SD, etc.(/sda1, /sdb1...)

Save (Ctrl + o) and exit (ctrl + x) the file.

Then, proceed to create a mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/home

Reload the updated fstab.

sudo mount -a

At this point you should be able to add a “/home” folder in the Media directory. Copy all the files from the current /home folder to the new /home folder by using rsync

sudo rsync -aXS /home/. /media/home/.

Remove the existing /home folder to allow the new /home folder in the external partition to be mounted. Type the following command in a terminal.

cd / sudo mv /home /home_backup sudo mkdir /home

Mount the new/home folder. Last step to complete the migration is to mount the new /home folder as “/home”. To do that, we have to revisit the fstab file again.

sudo nano /etc/fstab

All you have to do is to change the “/media/home” to “/home”. Save and exit the file.

Finally, reload the fstab file:

sudo mount -a

At this point your /home partition should be mounted and moved to the new /home partition  on the external drive.

You may get additional relevant information here https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24987/eng/STCK1A32WFC-STCK1A32FC-STCK1A8LFC-TechProdSpec01.pdf,http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2258320and How to Move Your Home Folder to Another Partition in Ubuntu *

Regards,

Caesar B.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 5. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
                  Dalinian

Hi Cesar - thanks for your detailed answer.

I'm in the same pickle as Peter, repeatedly getting warnings from Ubuntu about running out of space on the inadequately small internal storage of my Ubuntu ICS. One solution on an Android device would be to install apps on an external SD card. So, like Peter, I've been wondering "if anyone can suggest how I might install new programs onto the external media (SD card or USB drive or whatever) to get around that limitation".

As far as my (limited) understanding goes, the Ubuntu Home folder, located on internal storage by default, is designed to be the place where a user stores her/his files: documents, music, pictures, videos, etc, &c. (while I'm storing all such stuff on an external 64GB microSDXC card).

Meanwhile installed applications are stored elsewhere in the internal storage, usually in /usr [1]. So - does your procedure of "moving your /home folder to the external drive" mean that future installations of applications will see their code stored on the external drive, rather than taking up precious space on internal storage?

[1] Linux file system tree overview, main directories:

"● /home home sweet home, this is the place for users' home directories

● /usr contains the majority of user utilities and applications, and partly replicates the root directory structure, containing for instance, among others, /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib"

» https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxFilesystemTreeOverview#Main_directories

• 6. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
                    Cesar Badilla

HelloDalinian ,

In this case please let me know if possible  which programs you are planing to install on the external drive.

Additionally, moving the /usr partition to an external drive will require the use of a Live CD and an external optical drive in order to accomplish this task as this is the safest way to avoid any possible data loss.

You may try at your own risk creating a temporary partition to store the /usr data, however, you will need to make sure the /usr content is not being modified while copying and then proceed  to edit /etc/fstab so that /usr will be mounted on the next reboot of the Intel® Compute Stick and then proceed to delete the old files.

Note: You will need to know the UUID of your new partition in order to accomplish this task.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 7. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
                      erixoltan

This is a very interesting topic. I have a lot of thoughts and questions.

I have a MicroSD card with 32GB on it. Can I just install a system onto the MicroSD card and boot from that? Do I need to make sure that special drivers are loaded on it, or will a default Ubuntu installation just run on the ComputeStick? Is there anything I should know about before trying, or is this something that just won't work? 

Can I install something other than Ubuntu? There are more lightweight Linux distros and Ubuntu flavors that would make sense to use on a Compute Stick.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Installing programs to external media on the Compute Stick (Linux).
                        ivanu_intel

You could install the operating system in the MicroSD card but it will not be as fast as the Embedded Storage where the operating system is pre-installed.

You are free to install an operating system other than Ubuntu but please be aware that the warranty will be void.