7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 11:04 PM by Cesar Badilla

How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?

TenChain

I made the mistake (apparently) of using the Update function and am now being told I only have 220MB of available disk space.

This is useless to me.  How can I go back to square 1 and start again.  There's a recovery partition but how do I access or use it?

Peter

• 1. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
          Cesar Badilla

HelloTenChain,

At the point where Setup Entry/Boot would be in the normal boot path, the BIOS will display the following prompt and wait for a keystroke: [ESC] Normal Boot [F2] Intel BIOS [F4] BIOS Recovery [F7] Update BIOS [F8] Operating System Recovery [F10] Enter Boot Menu

In this particular situation I suggest pressing [F8] at POST  screen so you can access the Operating System Recovery options.

Regards

Caesar B.

• 2. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
            TenChain

Hi Cesar, and thank you.  I'm in the middle of doing a full restore.  Sometimes, you need a little help to see the obvious.

Thanks again.

Peter

• 3. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
              TenChain

The restore process halted with errors:

E: Encountered a section with no Package:header;

E:Problem with Megalist/var/lib/apt/list/au.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_lists_trusty_main-i18n_Translation-en,

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

So now I am able to start the device, a repeat warning message (same as the above) is showing.

Boy I'm out of love with this device.

Peter

• 4. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
                Dalinian

Hi Peter, you have my sympathy - why on earth Intel chose to create such an underspecified Ubuntu compute stick is beyond me. I've had to go through a factory reset on it once already, and you can read about how to do so successfully in the 'Correct Answer' section of this thread:

● Ubuntu ICS: Bricked by Security Update - Help, Please?

» https://communities.intel.com/message/326800#326800

A workaround for dealing with the inadequate storage of the Ubuntu ICS which I've found useful is BleachBit:

"BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source."

» http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

Having installed BleachBit with the Ubuntu Software Centre, you can then use the Dash to find 'BleachBit (as root)', and drag its icon to the Unity Launcher buttonbar. Since BleachBit needs root permission to perform some of its clever storage space recovery tasks, this option grants it the appropriate authority every time. When Ubuntu begins warning me about limited storage space remaining, I'm finding running 'BleachBit (as root)' generally recovers 300-400 MB of storage space.

Hope this helps.

Tim

• 5. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
                  Cesar Badilla

Hello TenChain,

Have you tried again to repeat the process to reset your Intel® Compute Stick to factory setting?

Please confirm if you are still able to load the Operating system. If so, have you tried GParted  to resize the partition?

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 6. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
                    TenChain

Hi Tim, I installed BleachBit and it sure cleans up some space.  Thank you.

Cesar, Hu and thank you, too.

I did do another Restore and it seemed to work OK.  The restore porocess is in 2 basic sections - the first installs the material from the Restore Partition and the second downloads a great deal from the web.  The failures I experienced all seem to have occurred during the seconbd phase and I am beginning toi think the issue is more about a flaky satellite internet service than anythging else.

I live inb a rural location where there is no cable or direct-line internet service.  I thgink I'll take the device with me next time I visit someone in town and have another try there.

Thanks again for your thoughts and helpful responses.

Peter

• 7. Re: How can I reset a Linux Compute Stick to factory condition?
                      Cesar Badilla

Hello TenChain

We are glad to help. Please let us know if issue is solved by testing a strong internet connection.

Regards,

Caesar B.