Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

HD 4000 onboard graphics may be failing

SYarb1
Beginner

On April 30, 2013 I built a new computer and installed the Intel Core i3-3225 Dual-Core Processor (3MB Cache, 3.3 GHz) Intel HD Graphics 4000. It has worked flawlessly until last night, when my monitor started flickering and then the red color disappeared, leaving the colors a horrible green and blue mix. I turned the computer off and when it booted back up the red was back - for about 5 minutes. Now it's gone for good. I thought that maybe my Asus 3d monitor was dying but when I hooked it up to my 4 year old laptop it worked just fine. I have searched and searched the internet for a solution but have found nothing. I have had Intel processors in the past, all with onboard graphics and no additional graphics cards, and none of them ever failed, even after several years of use. I generally keep a computer for 4-6 years or until it's no longer feasible to upgrade.

Should I just install a graphics card or is this a sign that the processor is going to completely fail? Thanks to anyone who has an answer to this

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello skyinva,

Have you tried to updating the graphics version? In case you haven't try that here is the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81499 Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4000 for 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors filter according to your OS.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
PShah12
Beginner

For all you know it is the update that screwed up the system. On my motherboard - 3rd Gen I3 with T suffix, every attempt by Windows OS or the Intel driver utility has failed. From my personal experience, of almost 25 years, only chipset and on board graphics for either Intel or AMD platform that are worth their name were VIA. They were certainly a bit slower but were rock solid.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Pradip Shah,

It's unfortunate that you have this situation, let's hope that the future drivers update can fix your issue.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos