Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Strange Bus clock drops and CPU frequency drops

GDimo2
Beginner

Hello,

I have new system that i had build before 4-5 months.

This is my rig:

Intel i7-4790k

Asus Z97-K

Corsair 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz

Samsung 850 EVO SSD

PSU Corsair RM1000

Radeon R9 280x

There is no clocking on anything.

So i did notice strange lagging in my PC and i decided to make some tests.

OCCT did gave me some strange readings ,it passed the test without errors , however there are some strange drops in my Bus values which are random ,Bus drops to 6MHz and my CPU is going to 274Mhz and that is not only in testing , i have same results even in idle mode .Sometime this drops are very frequent ,and sometime they are not .

And this is in idle ,i actually think when it drops i`m seeing a little lagging for example while i`m web browsing which is annoying .

So i was wondering if this is normal ? And if someone can help i would be grateful.

p.s. I`m getting this drops not only in OCCT, my Min Value for Core Clocks on CPUID is 274mhz.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GDimo2
Beginner

Updates :

Okay here are some things that i tried so far :

Windows Power Management is put to High-Performance

I did turn off from my BIOS :

Enhanced Speedstep technology

CPU C-State

CFG Lock

And nothing of those changes helped , so i`m starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my CPU,or maybe there are some more setting in BIOS that i don`t know about.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Geexile,

In this case I would recommend to run on your system the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it checks for brand identification, verifies the processor operating frequency, tests specific processor features, and does a stress test on the processor, so that way will know if there is something wrong with your processor.

Here is the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit- Intel® Download Center, once the diagnostic is done Go to> File and sent us that file, just make sure that when you're running the tool do it without the graphics card, set the memory at 1600 Mhz and set the processor to the base frequency(4 Mhz), that way will test the processor at the standard settings.

Another thing to mention is that you're running DDR3 2400Mhz when this processor supports DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V, memory sticks with higher speed than the set on the processor will overclock your system and you might end up with low performance, here you can check the specs http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz ARK | Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz).

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos