5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2016 5:15 AM by manikpi

A guide on compiling and installing xFSTK on Fedora 22 (x32 or x64)

NickOps

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to use my already existing system (a Fedora 22 , x64) to unbrick an Intel Edison, and it turns out that there is not enough information for it anywhere around. In addition, the build system is tailored around debian based systems (more specifically Ubuntu). So, I've decided to write my own guide on how to get things up and running in Fedora, since i did it myself.

Commands that are to be executed in the terminal will be appearing in green.

Note: I am writing this here by recollecting things from my memory and combining them with my bash history. There will definitely be things that are missing. Feel free to ask below, and I'll update the guide accordingly. The more you ask, the more accurate this will be .

Step 1:  Download the xfstk source

Link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xfstk/

Step 2: Extract and prepare your build folder

This is a trivial part, described perfectly in the contained README.txt file. Unzip the sources at your directory of choice, cd inside it and create a directory named "build".

Then, cd in the directory "build".

Step 3: DON't follow the rest of the readme file!

This is where the fun begins .

To begin with, you'll need to

export BUILD_VERSION=0.0.0                         #in fact, you can use any BUILD_VERSION number you want. (thanks mhahn!)

but DO NOT try to export the "DISTRIBUTION_NAME" as described in the readme file. There is no reason for that,  you only need the system to build the binaries.

Then, it's a good idea to install all the required software.

dnf install gcc-c++  libxml2-devel libusb-devel boost* devscripts usbutils cmake

Step 4: Build

Assuming that everything went correctly so far, you are inside your <sources_dir>/build/ and ready to compile. So, simply execute:

cmake .. && make

Step 5: Deploy manually.

As it seems in the sources, there is an automated conversion of the generated .deb (we didn't create that, so don't wonder if it's nowhere) file to rpm using alien. The generated rpm will not work, which is exactly why we avoided to generate packages at all. To deploy, copy the commands below:

cd SDK

sudo cp lib/udev/rules.d/99-intel-soc.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/100-intel-soc.rules #this is because we already have a 99th rule in Fedora. Tailor as you wish

sudo cp -v usr/bin/xfstk-* /usr/bin/

sudo cp -Rv usr/lib/* /usr/lib64/

sudo cp libxfstk-dldr-api.so /usr/lib64/

sudo ldconfig

Step 6: Report your errors!

As I mentioned before, this guide is written by memory. I'll need your feedback on this so I can fix the process.

Thank you for reading!