3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 5:23 AM by Sriranjan

LibMraa compiling and more

Sriranjan

Hello,

I just started using edison.I want to use the libmraa / mraa library and I have few questions. Which OS image is suggestible to use mraa? Also how do I do an SSH login into the edison. How do I transfer a file form my laptop to edison using SCP? How do I compile libmraa programs in edison? When I connect the edison a removable memory appears in my computer but I cannot see the linux tree structure in it.How do I access the linux tree from my laptop so that I can just copy paste new programs? Should I do an SSH/SCP using the wi-fi on edison?Is ubilinux more suggested and programmer friendly?How do I update mraa on edison?Is it given my default or should I install it? Please give me some idea on these things.

• 1. Re: LibMraa compiling and more
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello Sriranjan,

Let me answer your questions below:

• Which OS image is suggestible to use mraa?

You can use latest image version which is available here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25028/eng/edison-image-ww25.5-15.zip

• How do I do an SSH login into the edison?

In order to access your Edison through SSH you have to connect the Edison to a wireless network and get an IP address. You can follow this guide for it: IoT - Step 4: Connect over Wi-Fi* | Intel® Developer Zone. Once you have an IP address assign to your Edison you can use a software like PuTTY to access the Edison through SSH.

• How do I transfer a file form my laptop to edison using SCP?

You can use the WinSCP software.

• How do I compile libmraa programs in edison?

The MRAA library is just a library you include in your C/C++/JavaScript/Python scripts. So you only have to run the script normally. For C/C++ scripts, you have to compile them using the following syntax:

gcc <script_name>.c -o <script_compiled_name> -lmraa

For C++ scripts you have to follow the same syntax but using g++ instead of gcc.

• When I connect the edison a removable memory appears in my computer but I cannot see the linux tree structure in it.How do I access the linux tree from my laptop so that I can just copy paste new programs?

That's not possible. Even though the Edison appears as a removable device, you cannot copy files.

• Should I do an SSH/SCP using the wi-fi on edison?

The Edison has to be connected to a wireless network to use SSH/SCP.

• Is ubilinux more suggested and programmer friendly?

The image supported by us is Yocto which is available here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25028/eng/edison-image-ww25.5-15.zip

• How do I update mraa on edison? Is it given my default or should I install it?

I recommend you to check the following step-by-step guide to update MRAA: intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub. The library is included in the image by default but it's always recommended to update it to the latest version.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: LibMraa compiling and more
            Sriranjan

I installed Ubi linux but my laptop no longer recognizes edison as serial port.It gets listed in the device manager as CD serial and RNDIS device in other devices with a yellow exclamation mark. I disabled driver signing and ran windowsdriversetup 1.0.0 and even 1.2.1 but still the edison does not get recognized properly in the device manager.What shall I do?

• 3. Re: LibMraa compiling and more
              Sriranjan

Solved.