10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 11:20 AM by Departure1

DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector

Departure1

Why does the DP55WB only have a 4 pin CPU 12 volt connector vs. an 8 pin CPU 12 volt connector on the DP55WG and other P55 motherboards?

They all use the same i5 and i7 CPUs'.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
          PeterUK

The i5 and i7 for the P55 uses less power TDP 95 W then the X58 i7 TDP 130W so the need for 8pins is not needed apart from OC and better stability.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
            Nico

in other words, the cheapest p55 intel board, the one you mean, is _not_ for overclocking, and therefore doesn't need the power.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
              PeterUK

Well you can say that for all Intel boards regardless even other makes that have 8pin might not be good for overclocking due to phase power design thats on the board.

• 4. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                Departure1

Thanks for the answers guys.

Will the DP55WB allow the CPU i7 860 to Turbo Boost just as well as the DP55WG?

I've noticed on Newegg.com that the majority of 1156 motherboard manufacturers such as Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar and ASUS only use 4 pin cpu power plugs like the DP55WB and they reviews say they overclock well. ( I do not plan on over clocking, except Turbo mode as needed)

I just want a rock stable build.

My plan is to build a system with:

DP55WB

i7 860 CPU

Coolermaster 212 plus cooler

8 GB of Crucial or Kingston 1333 RAM 1.5 volt from Intel's recommended list

8800 GTX Nvidia card from my current build.

1 TB HD

What do you guys think?

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                  PeterUK

Will the DP55WB allow the CPU i7 860 to Turbo Boost just as well as the DP55WG?

Of course.

I've noticed on Newegg.com that the majority of 1156 motherboard manufacturers such as Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar and ASUS only use 4 pin cpu power plugs like the DP55WB

Majority only use 4pin? I think you will find that most use 8pin Gigabyte for one only has 3 4pin out of their range 17 boards for the P55 some are not on Newegg.com.

• 6. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                    Departure1

Yes, you are right!  When I looked at the pictures on Newegg.com most of the 8 pin connectors have the connector half way covered up. So at first glance they look like a 4 pin connector.  Why is that done?   Will a 4 pin plug also work?  I assume yes.

Do you think my build will work well and be stable on the DP55WB? My big concern is that 4 pin CPU plug. Why would Intel go backwards in this respect?

I have a good PSU, it a PC Power and Cooling 750 Silencer.  It's been running flawlessly for over 2 years in my current build.

Thanks

• 7. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                      Nico

i know an ASUS SLI board that runs with 2 gpus and 1 overclocked cpu with no problem. guess what -> only one 4-pin

don't worry no more..

• 8. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                        Departure1

Hi Nico,

That is good to hear that the ASUS board you mentioned works fine with the 4 pin CPU power connector. Just out of curiosity which ASUS motherboard model is that?

I still want to build a new system with the DP55WB.  I guess I could always spend a little more ($40.) and use the DP55WG, but there are features on that motherboard I would never use.  Of course there is that damn CPU power plug I'm fighting over in my head. LOL!

My current motherboard is an Abit FP-IN9 with the 8 pin CPU power plug. I'm running a Q6600 not over clocked.  It runs well, but not as well as the Intel builds I have done for my friends.  I have built several DP35DP Quad core systems that run so much better than my Abit.

Thanks again

• 9. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                          buckerss

well im not entirely sure i agree with you, but i havent used abit before.

whats not to say an asus or msi or gigabyte would not run as (or more) stable.  i went with intel on this build mainly to avoid the headache of running into issues and instability problems.  and since im on this forum right now, that is obviously not the case.

regardless, if such if your prerogative, im not sure you'd benifit a whole hella lot from building an entirely new system when you already have a q6600

if your really so inclined why not just get a new 775 socket board?  it'll sure save u cash from having to buy overpriced ddr3 ram right now. and a new processor  (obviously money is an issue if you're looking at the wb)

• 10. Re: DP55WB 4 Pin CPU Power Connector
                            Departure1

As for Abit, they're out of business and one of my USB ports stopped working, figures.

Money is always a consideration, but I figured it's time for a new build as it's been over 2 years and I can sell my current setup on ebay to off set the cost of a new system.  The DP55WB has all that I need (I hope) and there is no need to waste resources on anything bigger.

I'm now researching RAM for this build and I'm coming up with many incompatibility issues that I have read, even if the RAM used was from Intel's tested RAM list. So the Saga continues.

I too had the thought of building a system with a simple plug and play motherboard, but this may not be the case. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm curious, what issues are you having with this motherboard?

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.