Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Boxed cooler unable to cool i7-860

idata
Employee

I built a new PC with an i7-860 CPU. Originally, I tried to use a Scythe Ninja 2 Rev. B cooler. When idle, the temperatures were in the upper twenties (celcius). However, when I started a stress test, the temperatures jumped to ~70 and continued growing until they reached the nineties after several minutes. I then stopped the stress test.

I thought maybe the Ninja 2 can't handle the i7-860 so I decided to try the boxed cooler instead. Idle temperatures were as low as 22-23 (environment temperature is 21). However, the stress test let the temperatures jump to 60 and then slowly grow to the nineties again. This surprised me since I thought that the boxed cooler should definitely be able to handle the processor. Also, the boxed cooler already had the thermal grease on it so I can't have made any mistake there. Does that mean that my CPU is broken?

I used RealTemp and CoreTemp to determine the CPU temperatures.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

It's not just the 860. I just got an i7 920 3 days ago to put in a brand new system. The boxed fan with paste already attached does not keep the cpu cool.

My brand new system shut down afer a few hours of just sitting there running nothing.

I have been building my own systems since the early 80's.

I updated the bios and put additional paste under the fan and it runs a few degrees cooler but still too hot.

My case is a Cool Master 902, full tower all grilled, with 4 Huuuge fans in it. There is no way that cpu should be running hot. Normal op temp with nothing running is 106 deg f. During any type of application it climbs to 135 deg C. I'm sure with a big load this cpu will cause a shut-down.

Intel, you jumped the gun or something. Why waste your money and ours with a boxed fan which is grossly inadequate.

Now people will have to go out and try to buy something expensive to cool this thing. I blew $280.00 on this cpu and i expect it to work.

Don't you people test these things? Or did you test it and ignore the results?

Looks like a Class-Action suit in the making to me. I know that if don't get some satisfaction from Intel, i'll be contacting the U.S. Atorney's Office.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i just built my own system and i also thought it was a bit high, i hav a Thermaltake Xaser VI with LCS which runs into a Swifttech Apogee GT waterblock and Artic Cooling MX-3 Thermal compund & 4 140mm Fans for my cooler and im hitting mid 70,s on full load. (i have also overclocked the cpu to 3.34GHz) does anybody know the Temp limit of the 860 because i cant find it anywhere, (my old cpu's temp limit was in the 70's so im not sure if im safe)

idata
Employee

this is unusual news....I use the intel stock cooler on my core i7 and it runs at 43C - 71C most of the time. that is indeed rather unusual.

standard op temps for all the i7 series are up to 68.7 degrees C with some breathing room. meaning 70 is just about right. even with a good cooler, under load it's still going to be reasonably high, though i'd think it wouldn't be quite that high.

0 Kudos