7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 11:13 AM by clutchc

Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?

clutchc

I have a GTX 960 working fine on my DP45SG board.  But when I change to my R7-370, there is no display, no beep.  However the R7-370 works on another (MSI) 775 board I have with no problems.  So I know the card is OK. 

Q9550

Intel DP45SG (latest BIOS)

4x2 GB DDR 1333MHz memory (PC3-10600U)

Corsair TX650M PSU

• 1. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
          N.Scott.Pearson

In a nutshell, your board is so old that it is likely incompatible with many of the emerging video cards. The firmware on the video card may be expecting the board's BIOS to provide certain capabilities - some of which might not have existed (other than as emerging specs) when your board was released. Further, some of the video cards expect that the board's hardware has certain capabilities. For example, some high-end video cards expect the board to support PCIe 3.0. Yours might only support PCIe 2.0.

A common problem is video cards whose firmware only includes a UEFI driver; they do not provide legacy Op ROM support at all. I cannot remember where we were with UEFI in the 4 Series board generation. Check your BIOS and see whether there is an option to enable UEFI. Enabling UEFI may get you through POST. I warn you though, you might not be able to boot into an existing Windows installation (i.e. you might have to reinstall Windows with this feature enabled)...

More and more folks are running into this issue - and it isn't isolated to only Intel's boards. The problem is they cannot just go out and buy a new board (because this usually also means getting a new processor, new memory, etc.) and they do not have the funds to do so. I wish that the motherboard and (especially) the video card manufacturers would do a better job of explaining - on the box - what the requirements for using their products actually are...

...Scott

• 2. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
            clutchc

Thank you for the well-explained answer.  Yeah, I assumed it was BIOS related.  But the fact that the newer Maxwell-equipped EVGA GTX 960 FTW with its late UEFI BIOS worked w/o a hitch, led me to assume a re-badged 7000 series AMD gfx card would surely work as well.  Alas, it seems that is not the case.  I even tried my UEFI-BIOS GTX 750 Ti, and it worked too!  Oh well, looks like I stick with new Nvidia or old AMD cards for this board.

Can you (or anyone) link me to a site that lists the various cards' BIOS;  UEFI, legacy or both?

• 3. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
              JFFulcrum

There is no such database, as i know, but there is a way to check exact BIOS file for images present in it:

nvflash --pciblocks filename

Example:

>nvflash --pciblocks gm200.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.163)

Location        Size Type
              000000:00F3FF  62464 x86
              00F400:021BFF  75776 EFI

atiflash -biosfileinfo filename

Example:

>atiflash -biosfileinfo Asus.R9270.2048.140121.rom
              Image 1 -- Offset 0x0
              =======================
                ROM header contents:
                  Signature              0xAA55
                  PCIR offset            0x022C
                PCI Data Structure
                  Signature              PCIR
                  Vendor ID              0x1002
                  Device ID              0x6811
                  PCI Revision           0x00
                  Image size             0x10000
                  Code revision          0x0F2B
                  Indicator              0x00   (Not last image)
                  Code type              0x00   (PCAT Image)
                Legacy BIOS File Name    che.1
                Legacy BIOS Part Number  113-AD59700-107
                Legacy BIOS Build Number 284354
                Legacy BIOS Change List  996650
                Binary BIOS_IDTF         0x1AC3D7B4
                ByteCheckSum             0
              Image 2 -- Offset 0x10000
              =======================
                ROM header contents:
                  Signature              0xAA55
                  PCIR offset            0x001C
                PCI Data Structure
                  Signature              PCIR
                  Vendor ID              0x1002
                  Device ID              0x6811
                  PCI Revision           0x00
                  Image size             0xE000
                  Code revision          0x0000
                  Indicator              0x80   (last image)
                  Code type              0x03   (EFI Image)
                  EFI Signature          0x0EF1
                  Compression Type       0x0001 (compressed)
                  Machine type           0x8664 (X64)
                  Subsystem              0x000B (EFI boot service driver)
                  EFI image offset       0x0058 (abs: 0x10058)
                Uefi Ids from EFI_PCI_EXPANSION_ROM_HEADER:
                  UefiSourceRevision     GOP AMD REV: x.x.x.x.x
                  UefiSourceChangeList   xxxx
                  UefiBiosBuildNumber    xxxx

Dump Gop Driver Info:
                  Machine type code      X64
                  The GOP Driver appears to be Authenticode signed.
                  Size Of Gop Image      95488 (93 KB)
                  GOP Driver Name: AMD GOP X64 Release Driver Rev.1.54.0.0.0.Dec 30 2013.18:11:36
                  GOP AMD_Build          2700
                  GOP AMD_CL             992571
                  GOP BIOS_IDTF          0xDEADBEEF
                  GOP Driver does not carry tables!

As you see, both cards have two images: legacy and UEFI.

Great storage of card BIOSes is on http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ , and with GPU-Z you can extract a BIOS file from exact videocard.

• 4. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
                N.Scott.Pearson

Clutchc,

Just to be sure, since you didn't say and this information may be helpful to other folks:

1. Did the GTX 960 FTW and GTX 750 Ti would regardless of the UEFI setting (i.e. they still include legacy OpROM support) or did you have to enable UEFI before they would work?
                2. You are saying that, regardless of the UEFI setting, the R7-370 won't work, right?

I took a look at the specifications for a couple of the R7-370 boards offered by NewEgg. They all state that the interface is PCIe 3.0 x16, but do not say one way or the other whether it is backward compatible with boards supporting (only) PCIe 1.x and/or 2.x.

...S

• 5. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
                  clutchc

Hi again,

1) I am able to get a POST display at boot using the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 960 with the UEFI setting enabled or disabled in BIOS.  (Surprisingly, I can boot to my Win7x64 installation in either mode)

2) That is correct.  Neither UEFI enabled or disabled in BIOS will allow a display at Boot.  Nor even move into a blind Win boot.  The machine doesn't seem to be able to complete POST.

I build several a few PCs per year.  Both new and rebuilds.  I have yet to come across an older board that was not fully PCI Express backward-compatible with any cards I have tested.  Not saying there are none, just never came across any myself...yet.  PCI Express is suppose to be a backward-compatible interface.  Even an old PCIe 1.0 board has always recognize a later gen card for me.  But, since both the AMD and Nvidia cards I'm using are 3.0, that doesn't seem to be the issue, anyway.  The DP45SG recognizes the 3.0 Nvidia cards.  It appears to be something specific to the R7-370 BIOS that doesn't agree with this elderly Intel board.  I may grab an inexpensive R7-2xx card and experiment just to satisfy my curiousity.

But thank you for your followup.

@ JFFulcrum

Thanks for that info and links.  Handy items.  I will do some research using that in the future.

• 6. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Re: "since both the AMD and Nvidia cards I'm using are 3.0, that doesn't seem to be the issue, anyway."

This all depends upon whether a particular card requires PCIe 3.0. If they've removed support for legacy operation, you're pooched -- but I (also) think that this is not the case; I am leaning towards this being a BIOS issue. While the 4 Series board's BIOSs supported UEFI, there may be bugs, incompatibilities or missing features in an implementation that is this old...

...S

• 7. Re: Why won't my R7-370 work on my Intel DP45SG motherboard?
                      clutchc

It must be as you say; the Intel BIOS.  The card obviously doesn't require 3.0.  It worked just fine on my MSI G31TM-P31 motherboard.  And it was only PCIe Gen 1.0

Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

This is the exact gfx card, btw: GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - AMD - PCI Express Solution - Radeon™ R7 300 series - GV-R737WF2OC-2GD (rev. 1.0)