1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 7:31 PM by Cesar Badilla

Network from NUC BIOS - should it work?

LordKiRon

Hi,

I noticed that there is a network options in NUC Live BIOS that looks like should be able to access network from within BIOS.

However in my case it does not.

I connected NUC (5i5RYH) using 1GB wire connected to router with DHCP server enabled. It works fine when I boot into a Windows 10 but from Live BIOS it's always no connection and looks like no IP as well.

(of course NIC enabled etc.)

Any idea should it work at all? ::) And if "yes" how to make it work.

Also, I interested to know  what it can be used for besides BIOS updates?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Network from NUC BIOS - should it work?
          Cesar Badilla

Hello LordKiRon,

The option to boot into Network is the "Legacy PXE". which normally involves booting a computer from firmware  which means it loads data contained on a read-only-memory (ROM) or programmable read-only-memory (PROM) chip  instead of booting from a data contained on a magnetic media(HDD). Based on this information we get reference to the terminologies "PXE boot ROM" or "PXE boot PROM".

When the Intel® NUC is booting from ROM or PROM it  removes the dependency on an electro-mechanical device (the physical hard drive HDD) which enhances reliability and eliminates drive read-write errors. With current memory technology, booting from ROM or PROM is faster than booting from mechanical or electro-mechanical drives, thus "PXE" can be also used to boot a computer from a network.

Based on this information. Are you trying to boot to a PXE boot ROM" or PXE boot PROM" image?

Which Operating System are you trying to Boot?

Regards,

Caesar B.