3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 10:43 AM by Intel_Alvarado

make custom yocto image for intel edison mini breakout board

falak.desai@yahoo.com

hello everyone,

I've been working on making a custom yocto image for my edison mini breakout board, in which I can install the dependencies I want and remove the unwanted dependencies.

The yocto project development manual  and  The yocto project quick start guide  are very good to follow and make your own custom yocto image.

But my problem is, I find the different steps provided here in very scattered manner. I'm jumping from one link to the other link and not getting any consistency in work.

So I'm getting confused which steps to perform after which step.

Can anyone help me to get a step by step procedure to follow ??

that will make my week !

thank you,,

• 1. Re: make custom yocto image for intel edison mini breakout board
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

You can find information on how to make a custom Yocto image in the Edison BSP Intel® Edison Boards — Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide .

Notice Section 4 is about “Creating Custom Intel® Edison Images”.

Sergio

• 2. Re: make custom yocto image for intel edison mini breakout board
            falak.desai@yahoo.com

Hi,

I'm creating a custom yocto image and I've 2 doubts:

1) I want to install vlc into it.   Can you help me how should I add vlc into my yocto image so that it comes built-in  in my yocto image when I apply the custom image on my edison ?  (basically any additional software/dependencies , not only vlc )

2) Where would I get the list of dependencies that I should be adding into my yocto image ?  I'm using hob to build image. If i only want to turn on WiFi and use vlc then what dependencies should I add in my core_image_minimal  so that my image has these two functionality only and not the other heavy stuff ....

is there any post/reference that has the dependencies list with its tasks which I can refer to solve this ?

• 3. Re: make custom yocto image for intel edison mini breakout board
              Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

In the following guide Chapter 3.  Installing VLC states that the dependencies for VLC are libdvbpsi, mpeg2dec, libdvdcss, libdvdplay, a52dec, ffmpeg, libmad, faad2, libogg and libvorbis.

The files needed are in the meta-intel-edison layer. In the meta-intel-edison-bsp you’ll get the kernel and kernel modules (Bluetooth, wifi, serial, spi, usb, etc…). The meta-intel-edison-distro installs the software and compatibility. I suggest you to check all the files and recipes. From the meta-intel-edison-distro you can remove several packages that are not needed for what you want, for example if you don’t need alsa, gstreamer or pulse audio, recipes—multimedia wouldn’t be needed.

From meta-intel-edison-bsp I’d suggest you to keep recepies-bsp and recepies-kernel. These files have modules and kernel configuration so you’d need those.

Also from meta-intel-edison-distro you’ll need recipes-core that has essential information that can’t be removed.

For Wifi, make sure to include the files needed in meta-intel-edison-distro.

Those files are recipes-connectivity, recipes-benchmark and recipes-support.

Sergio