9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 2:38 PM by CMata_Intel

Increasing the size of the upgrade partition

jhane

In order to get scipy working on Edison I did a miniconda install in /home/root.  The result of this is a much larger image so I can no longer do an OTA update by copying the images to the upgrade partition. 

I've been working on trying to change the size of my upgrade partition but am seeing some strange behaviour.  I changed the upgrade partition size on u-boot's edison.env from 768 to 832, rebuilt and flashed with flashall.sh.   I can now copy all of files onto the upgrade partion from my linux host.  However, when I do a 'reboot ota' on the edison I get an error from u-boot saying that the ota_update.scr is not found.

So I can see the file on Edison from my Linux host over USB.  I can also see the file if I mount the upgrade partiton as a loop device on the edison.  However, when I drop into u-boot and run the command 'fatls mmc 0:9' I cannot see any files.

This seems straight forward but it's not working and I wanted to see if anybody else has tried this.

thanks,

jeff

• 1. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
          CMata_Intel

Hi Jeff,

Which OS and BSP are you using?

I suggest you to use the flashall script to flash the image instead of the reboot ota method. In here you will find how to run this script: How to Run the Flashall Script but you have to use the files created for your own image

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
            jhane

Hi Charlie,

I am using a custom build of yocto-linux based off the ww18-15 release.   I always use the flashall.sh script when trying to re-size the partition, I understand that you cannot resize the partition when doing an OTA. 

I've hit two issues but it's not clear what the root cause.

1) the GPT generated by u-boot does not always seem to be updated.

[   32.162392] sh[195]: Formatting home partition : Success

[   32.246846] sh[195]: Mount /home partition : Success

[   46.061659] sh[195]: Restore home/root contents on new /home partition : Success

[   46.232696] sh[195]: The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 26624.

[   46.282353] sh[195]: There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,

[   46.322554] sh[195]: and could in certain setups cause problems with:

[   46.357793] sh[195]: 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)

[   46.402542] sh[195]: 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs

[   46.439118] sh[195]: (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

[   46.473952] sh[195]: Command (m for help): Command action

[   46.508868] sh[195]: e   extended

[   46.543223] sh[195]: p   primary partition (1-4)

*** This is a problem !!! **

[   46.577478] sh[195]: Partition number (1-4): Partition 1 is already defined, delete it before re-adding

This is the output on the console after doing a flashall.sh when trying to increase the partition size.   You can see from the output of the post-install.sh script that it is trying to create the update partition with fdisk but fdisk already believes the partition exist.

2) corrupted file system on upgrade partition

I discovered this when I could copy file over USB to the edison and then see this files on the edison by mounting the partition as a loop device but still could not see the files with fatls in u-boot.   I booted back up to Linux and ran fsck.vfat on the upgrade partition and there were problems.   I re-formatted and checked again with fsck, and when there were no errors I could see files in u-boot that had been copied over USB.

jeff

• 3. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
              CMata_Intel

Hi Jeff,

Do you have updates in this?

Are you following the steps from: Changing partition setup on Edison ?

1) Did you change something else in the image? Could you attached in here the /meta-intel-edison-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/files/edison.env and the meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-core/images/edison-image.bb you are using?

2) I think there is something wrong while we are building the image with the changes in the partitions.

Have you tried with a clean build? or maybe with the ww25.5 source files?

Regards,

Charlie

• 4. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
                jhane

Hi Charlie,

I have not figured out the root cause of this but did modify the post-install.sh to get the partition in the correct state.   So now I always delete the update partition with fdisk before trying to create it.  I just ignore the error in the case where the partition does not exist.   I also use fsck to check the partition after doing mkfs and if there is a failure I repeat.  We have not had any issue repartitioning older edisons with this method. 

I don't think there is a problem with the build, I think there is some problem with the GPT.   The fact that fdisk still believes the partition still exist after using the flashall.sh script seems to indicate that u-boot is not erasing and re-writing the new one.  I have not looked at the u-boot GPT code in-depth.

I have tried clean builds but have not tried ww25.5

thanks,

jeff

• 5. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
                  CMata_Intel

Hi jeff,

I'm not sure if you are following the steps fromChanging partition setup on Edison, if you are not following these steps please post in here the method you are using.

Also, please send us the /meta-intel-edison-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/files/edison.env and the meta-intel-edison-distro/recipes-core/images/edison-image.bb you are using?

Additionally, in the terminal console run the command parted and once you are inside the interface run the command print all and attach a picture of what you get.

Regards,

Charlie

• 6. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
                    jhane

Those step are old since the rootfs has changed by default.  Also, it's not necessary to use -recovery since the board is rebooted after u-boot has been flashed with the new partitions and flashing continues after that.   I did increase the size of the update partition in u-boot.env to 832MiB

# Partition definition

-partitions=uuid_disk=${uuid_disk};name=u-boot0,start=1MiB,size=2MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot0};name=u-boot-env0,size=1MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot_env0};name=u-boot1,size=2MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot1};name=u-boot-env1,size=1MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot_env1};name=factory,size=1MiB,uuid=${uuid_factory};name=panic,size=24MiB,uuid=${uuid_panic};name=boot,size=32MiB,uuid=${uuid_boot};name=rootfs,size=1536MiB,uuid=${uuid_rootfs};name=update,size=768MiB,uuid=${uuid_update};name=home,size=-,uuid=${uuid_home};

+partitions=uuid_disk=${uuid_disk};name=u-boot0,start=1MiB,size=2MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot0};name=u-boot-env0,size=1MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot_env0};name=u-boot1,size=2MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot1};name=u-boot-env1,size=1MiB,uuid=${uuid_uboot_env1};name=factory,size=1MiB,uuid=${uuid_factory};name=panic,size=24MiB,uuid=${uuid_panic};name=boot,size=32MiB,uuid=${uuid_boot};name=rootfs,size=1536MiB,uuid=${uuid_rootfs};name=update,size=832MiB,uuid=${uuid_update};name=home,size=-,uuid=${uuid_home};

Here is the output of parted

Number  Start   End SizeFile system  Name     Flags
                    1049kB  3146kB  2097kB           u-boot0
                    3146kB  4194kB  1049kB           u-boot-env0
                    4194kB  6291kB  2097kB           u-boot1
                    6291kB  7340kB  1049kB           u-boot-env1
                    7340kB  8389kB  1049kB  ext2     factory
                    8389kB  33.6MB  25.2MB           panic
                    33.6MB  67.1MB  33.6MB  fat16    boot
                    67.1MB  1678MB  1611MB  ext4     rootfs
                    1678MB  2550MB  872MB   fat32    update
                    10  2550MB  3909MB  1359MB  ext4    

home

However, non of this is going to help explain the problems I originally describe where fdisk believes the update partition already exist after a flashall.sh.  Nor does it give any insight as to why the update partition is r/w from both the edison and a linux host but u-boot is unable to read the files on that partition.

jeff

• 7. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
                      CMata_Intel

Hi Jeff,

Do you have updates in this?

We would like to reproduce your issue, could you follow these steps: Changing the Root Partiton Size and then attach in here the files?

Regards,

Charlie

• 8. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
                        jhane

Hello,

I am satisfied at the time with the WAR I have put in place in the post-install.sh script.   We have not seen any issues since this change.   To recreate, you just need the change the update partition size in the u-boot.env, and re-flash with flashall.sh.   The issues did not happen  100% of the time but the problem was frequent enough that I was able to easily re-created and debug the issue. I am still using the ww18-15 release. 

jeff

• 9. Re: Increasing the size of the upgrade partition
                          CMata_Intel

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if you still have problems with this. I know you are using ww18-15 but have you tried with ww25.5-15?

Regards,

Charlie