I started having problems with my touchpad 2 weeks ago (the cursor didn´t move, but worked as scroll), I thought it was a problem with the Synaptics driver (Synaptics SMBus Touchpad). I uninstalled and installed it again (I downloaded from the Toshiba page) but when I did, the problem persisted. The touchpad only works if: 1) I keep uninstall the Synaptics driver (and use my tochpad with the Microsoft driver) or 2) I end the process "SynTPEnh.exe" with the Task Manager (when I have that driver install). Sure, I can´t use my touchpad as scrollbar or change the zoom with it (those are Synaptics features), but at least the cursor moves.
Something was wrong for sure, I was looking around on my laptop and then I noticed a text document in my C: with this name: "IFRToolLog.txt". When I opened I found this text repeat a couple of times:
Connect to Server CreateFile() successful.
svc_write_buffer->InBufferSize ==> 12
svc_write_buffer->SvcCommand ==> 0
Sent message to server successful.
Read was successfull
I searched for information about this, but I found very little about it, like:
1) IFRToolLog is the abbreviation of Intel Firmware Recovery Tool.
2) People who have problems with their PCs relate this text file with problems with the Intel(R) Technology Access.
So, I searched information about the Intel(R) Technology Access and problems with the PC and I found a few posts about it: some people started having problems with the touchpad, audio, network or performance issues with their PCs, and all that people saw a connection of their problems and the Intel(R) Technology Access.
This is my case and, according to what I read, several people noticed pretty much the same things going on:
1) At "Restore system" I found twelve (12) restoration points with Description: "Intel(R) Technology Access" and Type: "System". The dates are from 09/02/2015 until today, 09/15/2015. And it was at the late night of september 1 the first time when my laptop experienced a problem with the touchpad.
2) When I open the Intel (R) Update Manager I see only three (3) events:
Actualizaciones [Updates] - Estado [Status] - Fecha [Date]
Intel(R) Technology Access, versión 184.108.40.2060 - Actual - 16/08/2015 16:11
Intel(R) Technology Access, versión 220.127.116.110 - Ha habido un error (DigestError) - 31/07/2015 16:42
Intel(R) Technology Access, versión 18.104.22.1682 - Se ha realizado correctamente - 25/03/2015 20:54
[This is what the image says]
Sooooo... I will appreciate if someone can help me with this!
What I want to achieve:
1) Use my touchpad with the Synaptics driver (wich means, have those features like change the zoom or use it like a scroll bar) without problems.
2) Make my laptop faster, like it used to be (my laptop slowdown since this problem appears: when I turn on or turn off the laptop, now takes a minute, before this, just a few seconds)
3) Stop having these restoration points because the Intel(R) Technology Access.
Since I know is difficult to achieve that, maybe someone can help me with these questions:
What is the purpose of the Intel(R) Technology Access? What it does? Can I just uninstall it?
This thing is hunting me so bad, and not just me, many people have the same problem (with some variations) and we can´t find an answer. I hope someone can help me, I´ll be so grateful.
Thanks in advance!
PD: my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L 45-B, Windows 8.1 (no upgrade), Intel i5, 6 GB RAM.