6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 11:09 AM by ricardog_intel

PROBLEMS with the Intel(R) Technology Access v. 1.4.4.1000

Kari Ola

Hi:

I started having problems with my touchpad 2 weeks ago (the cursor didn´t move, but worked as scroll), I thought it was a problem with the Synaptics driver (Synaptics SMBus Touchpad). I uninstalled and installed it again (I downloaded from the Toshiba page) but when I did, the problem persisted. The touchpad only works if: 1) I keep uninstall the Synaptics driver (and use my tochpad with the Microsoft driver) or 2) I end the process "SynTPEnh.exe" with the Task Manager (when I have that driver install). Sure, I can´t use my touchpad as scrollbar or change the zoom with it (those are Synaptics features), but at least the cursor moves.

Something was wrong for sure, I was looking around on my laptop and then I noticed a text document in my C: with this name: "IFRToolLog.txt". When I opened I found this text repeat a couple of times:

Connect to Server CreateFile() successful.

svc_write_buffer->InBufferSize ==> 12

svc_write_buffer->SvcCommand ==> 0

Sent message to server successful.

Read was successfull

I searched for information about this, but I found very little about it, like:

1) IFRToolLog is the abbreviation of Intel Firmware Recovery Tool.

2) People who have problems with their PCs relate this text file with problems with the Intel(R) Technology Access.

So, I searched information about the Intel(R) Technology Access and problems with the PC and I found a few posts about it: some people started having problems with the touchpad, audio, network or performance issues with their PCs, and all that people saw a connection of their problems and the Intel(R) Technology Access.

This is my case and, according to what I read, several people noticed pretty much the same things going on:

1) At "Restore system" I found twelve (12) restoration points with Description: "Intel(R) Technology Access" and Type: "System". The dates are from 09/02/2015 until today, 09/15/2015. And it was at the late night of september 1 the first time when my laptop experienced a problem with the touchpad.

2) When I open the Intel (R) Update Manager I see only three (3) events:

Imagen integrada 1

Actualizaciones [Updates]  -  Estado [Status]  -  Fecha [Date]

Intel(R) Technology Access, versión 1.4.4.1000 - Actual - 16/08/2015 16:11

Intel(R) Technology Access, versión 1.4.4.1000 - Ha habido un error (DigestError) - 31/07/2015 16:42

Intel(R) Technology Access, versión 1.3.6.1042 - Se ha realizado correctamente - 25/03/2015 20:54

[This is what the image says]

Sooooo... I will appreciate if someone can help me with this!

What I want to achieve:

1) Use my touchpad with the Synaptics driver (wich means, have those features like change the zoom or use it like a scroll bar) without problems.

2) Make my laptop faster, like it used to be (my laptop slowdown since this problem appears: when I turn on or turn off the laptop, now takes a minute, before this, just a few seconds)

3) Stop having these restoration points because the Intel(R) Technology Access.

Since I know is difficult to achieve that, maybe someone can help me with these questions:

What is the purpose of the Intel(R) Technology Access? What it does? Can I just uninstall it?

This thing is hunting me so bad, and not just me, many people have the same problem (with some variations) and we can´t find an answer. I hope someone can help me, I´ll be so grateful.

Thanks in advance!

PD: my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L 45-B, Windows 8.1 (no upgrade), Intel i5, 6 GB RAM.

• 1. Re: PROBLEMS with the Intel(R) Technology Access v. 1.4.4.1000
          Kari Ola

One last thing:

Thanks to SOG and his answer in another question (Issue with Intel Technology Access Driver), I found this description of the Intel(R) Technology Access:

Intel® Technology Access:

Usage:

Intel® Technology Access exposes the 2-in-1 sensor and display setting detection to the browser applications using web services. The 2-in-1 sensor determines the mode of a device (for example: tablet mode or clamshell mode). The Display settings detect and get the screen resolution and orientation values.

It also exposes the Microsoft Windows 8.x* COM sensors accelerometer, ambient light, compass, inclinometer & orientation.

My laptop doesn´t have a touchscreen, so... can I just uninstall it? I don´t understand well the display setting thing, can someone explain it to me? Give me more details?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: PROBLEMS with the Intel(R) Technology Access v. 1.4.4.1000
            Kari Ola

Hi, Ricardog_intel. Thanks for the answer.

I read carefully the post you sent to me, but that is far of my level of computer knowledge. I mean, I barely understand what a firmware is. I´m not sure how that post is useful for me.

I went on Control Panel - Uninstall program and I just found these 2 programs: Intel(R) Technology Access and Intel (R) Update Manager. Then I went to Task Manager and found theses processes:

• Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service Interface
            • Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface
            • Intel(R) Local Management Service
            • Intel(R) ME Service
            • Intel(R) Technology Access - Service
            • Intel(R) Technology Access Legacy CsLoaderService

So, it looks like I don´t have the Intel Manageability Firmware Recovery Agent...

Please, if you can give me more details about the Intel(R) Technology Access I´ll be grateful, I don´t wanna keep looking at Restore system and find each time more and more restoration points with the same description and type (Intel(R) Technology Access/System). Now I have 15 of them. This is too much.

I think I´m just gonna to uninstall it and the Update Manager too, I´m tired of this.

• 4. Re: PROBLEMS with the Intel(R) Technology Access v. 1.4.4.1000
              ricardog_intel

As per description bellow, this driver works most on Tablets, the Intel® Technology Access exposes the 2-in-1 sensor and display setting detection to the browser applications using web services. The 2-in-1 sensor determines the mode of a device (for example: tablet mode or clamshell mode). The Display settings detect and get the screen resolution and orientation values.

It also exposes the Microsoft Windows 8.x* COM sensors accelerometer, ambient light, compass, inclinometer & orientation.

You can test and uninstall it, if you need it again you can install it back, here is the download link Intel® Download Center

• 5. Re: PROBLEMS with the Intel(R) Technology Access v. 1.4.4.1000
                Kari Ola

Hi!

After a month and a half, this is my final report:

- I uninstalled the Intel(R) Technology Access a few weeks ago. I did normally, using the Control Panel tool. Since then, the ITA restorations points and the "IFRToolLog.txt" file on my C: finally stopped, so that part is over.

- Also, I did more research before uninstalling the ITA and I learned to look at the Event Viewer and I found an ITA error repeated a couple of times there. Since the uninstall, those are gone too.

- However, my problem with the Synaptics driver persists (and still annoying me!), so apparently those problems are not connected (I say apparently because I still think there is a connection!). Also, anything changed with the PC performance... maybe it was just the normal drop in performance for daily use? Idk.

Conclusion:

If you have a computer without a touchscreen and find ITA restoration points, IFRToolLog text files on your C: and ITA errors on your Event Viewer, you can safely uninstall the Intel(R) Technology Access and all these problems are going to disappear without loosing any other function in your PC.

Warning:

The only exception I found to my conclusion is this one: if you use the ethernet port to get online, you have to check before if you have the Intel(R) Technology Access TAP Driver as Ethernet adapter. If you have it, it might get you permanently offline, so watch out.

So, this is it. I hope this can be useful for anyone who has experienced the same problems with the Intel(R) Technology Access. And if this makes anyone feel more confident, I did a deep research, I read so much about it for several weeks and get advice in another (and helpful) forum before I decided to uninstall the ITA, so, I´m pretty sure it was the right thing to do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: PROBLEMS with the Intel(R) Technology Access v. 1.4.4.1000
                  ricardog_intel

Thank you for your post. We appreciate your feedback.