4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 3:15 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC5i5MYBE Power Sensing Circuit

mcryan

The technical specs (pg. 59, sention 2.2.4.3.1) mention that the power sensing circuit should be disabled via the BIOS when using an adapter greater than 65W. Any one know the reason behind this? I have quite a few of these boards and I don't want to needlessly modify the BIOS for each one.

• 1. Re: NUC5i5MYBE Power Sensing Circuit
          mcryan

Here is what the BIOS option says:
            "Power Sense: When enabled, the power sense will monitor the input power from the power supply and will assert PROCHOT# to the CPU if the power is high enough that it risks causing the power adaptor to shut down"

I don't fully understand, but it sounds like this is a safety feature to prevent damage to the power supply...

• 2. Re: NUC5i5MYBE Power Sensing Circuit
            N.Scott.Pearson

This is indeed a safety feature. It is possible to exceed normal power levels if you are modifying the CPU configuration parameters to overclocking levels. In my opinion, while it is recommended that you enable this feature, you don't absolutely need to if you are not (also) modifying these CPU parameters. I have to say, though, I personally would always enable this parameter regardless, but that's just me; I spent 21 years working for Intel, whose founder's motto was "Only the Paranoid Survive"...

...S

• 3. Re: NUC5i5MYBE Power Sensing Circuit
              mcryan

Thanks for the feedback! I don't plan on overclocking or modifying the CPU configuration. So, I might be okay...

If I remain paranoid and leave this option enabled, and have a >65W power supply attached, will I have a CPU that is constantly throttled down because it thinks it is overheating the power supply?

• 4. Re: NUC5i5MYBE Power Sensing Circuit
                N.Scott.Pearson

You shouldn't. The test is based upon the power consumption of the NUC, not the capabilities of the brick connected to the NUC. If the NUC is not consuming more than 65W, the circuit shouldn't be doing any throttling.

...S