1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 1:21 AM by pr0xzen

NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0

Josser

Hello,

I recently bought a NUC5i5RYH and I tried connecting it to my Samsung 55"UHD television by using the Mini Displayport - HDMI (since it would be capable of sending 4K at 60HZ).

For two days I have been trying to get it working properly, but I only seem to get a max resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I'm thinking I might be using the wrong cable, but I have no idea which cable does support this.

Is there anyone who got it working at 4K 60 HZ?

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
          ivanu_intel

Hello Josser,

In order to get these resolutions we recommend using straight connection, a DisplayPort from the NUC to a DisplayPort monitor or mini HDMI from the NUC to an HDMI monitor.

Please be aware that the Max Resolution with DisplayPort is 3840x2160@60Hz and the Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4) is 2560X1600@60Hz, you can see it at:

http://ark.intel.com/products/84984/Intel-Core-i5-5250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
            Josser

Ho ivanu,

That would be the best solution indeed.

However most televisions (including my own) don't have a DisplayPort.

I'm wondering if anyone got it working using a Mini DP - HDMI 2.0 since I'm not quite sure if those cables are available already.

Some websites claim to have one though...

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
              kevin_intel

Hello Josser,

We usually do not recommend adapters or convertors but if you can get an active adapter from MiniDP to HDMI will work much better than a passive adapter. That could do the trick.

Kevin M

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                Sunspark

Agreed.. and it bears mentioning that if the television does not support HDMI 2.0, you will not get 60 FPS at 4K even if you somehow have an adapter for it. If the TV is HDMI 1.4 and under, at 4K you will be limited to 30 FPS.

For watching movies and tv, this won't be an issue.

For doing computer stuff, and computer games, this _will_ be an issue.

Accell B086B-008B (or B086B-008B-2 for poly bag version) is an active mini-dp to HDMI 1.4 adapter.

If the TV has a VGA port, you could try that instead to get 60 fps but make sure you have the thickest cable you can find with huge ferrites.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                  kevin_intel

You are correct! 

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                    DPace

This is great information; however I am unable to confirm the Accell B086B-008B (DP 1.1 to HDMI 1.4) supports 4K@60.

Looks like Accell B086B-012B (DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0) does though.

Unfortunately I have not been able to locate any reference to that product except on the Accell website.

Has anyone successfully managed to get 4K@60hz via HDMI 2.0 using the NUC? If so, what cables/adapters did you use?

Edit:
                    Yes, my TV (Vizio M70-C3) does support HDMI 2.0 and 4K@60, which is only available through the HDMI 5 input port.

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                      pr0xzen

For HDMI 2.0 compliance, you'll likely need a DP 1.2 - HDMI 2.0 adapter with the Parade PS8409 chip. Example: (miniDisplayPort) Accell B086B-012B, and the fullsize (DisplayPort) unit B086B-011B:

EDIT: (Reversed model numbers) Thanks DPace.

Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter – Accell

DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter – Accell

Accell representatives stated yesterday that these units will arrive December 21. It'll be available in a smaller quantity on their website first, before rolling out in stores during January 2016.

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                        provo44

>>Simply connect the Mini DisplayPort end of the connector to your computer and plug your existing HDMI cable from the display into the adapter."

My Cable is standard HDMI. The above quote doesn't indicate that I would have to replace my old cable with HDMI 2.0.

TO get the full benefit or any benefit would I have to upgrade to HDMI 2.0?

TIA

• 9. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                          pr0xzen

Stricly in terms of cables, and wether or not you'll need to change it? Odds are, likely not. (But if your cable is branded Standard HDMI - it is very likely Category 1).

The first HDMI cables (Category 1) weren't even required to do 1080p60, just 1080i60. As of HDMI 1.3, for full capacity, a much higher bandwidth was needed and this was when Category 1 and Category 2 was defined. With Category 2 ("High Speed HDMI") cables, requirements were bumped to 10.2 Gbit/s total throughput, including overhead. Most cables, at least fairly decent ones bought the last 5-6 years - will be Category 2. And most likely branded so. The HDMI 2.0 standard does not specify a new cable requirement.

While the requirement for a High Speed cable is 10.2 Gbit/s (combined for all 3 internal pairs), a fairly decent manufacturer will most likely produce these cables to hold up to this at atleast 5 meter lengths. This means shorter lengths are much more likely to actually handle the up to 18 Gbit/s rate of HDMI 2.0 - with decent cable termination.

Bottom line - your current cable, if HDMI 1.3/1.4 capable, will most likely do fine with HDMI 2.0 contents. At least with shorter cable runs. If you're in need of long cables, signal degredation will come into play - and you might want to look for either a certified "Premium HDMI" (see below) cable, or find a vendor that will let you test the cable.

-

If you want to make sure you will be able to throughput the full 18 Gbit/s of HDMI 2.0, you can always get a HDMI 2.0 cable with "Premium HDMI cable" certification. These must be physically tested and certified for the actual length sold, and they'll have a hologram and barcode sticker on them. This barcode is indexed, and traces back to the issued verification for manufacturer and length. These are issued by HDMI Licencing. Given how the cable market usually work, expect these to come with a price premium, too (e.g. Blue Jeans Belden FE-series, $41.75 for 15 feet).

• 10. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                            DPace

pr0xzen wrote:

Example: Accell B086B-011B, and the fullsize (DisplayPort) unit B086B-012B

The product numbers need to be flipped here. The full-size one is B086B-011B; the mini display-port (like on the NUC) is B086B-012B.

Looking forward to getting the B086B-012B when it becomes available.

• 11. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                              pr0xzen

Thank you DPace, I've edited the original post to reflect this.

• 12. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                                provo44

Thanks again. I will wait for the P/N: B086B-012B. I have tried 2 Min DP to HDMI cables. The first didn't work and the second made my screen go black on the second start up. Had to go back to the Min HDMI to HDMI cable and power cycle three time before the NUC responded.

• 13. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                                  jjwork

So just clarifying, we can only use the mini display port output in order to achieve full 3840 x 2160 at 60fps?

Does this mean the mini-HDMI port on the NUC is not HDMI 2.0 compliant?

Also found this adapter which is due soon Amazon.com: Club3D Mini Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD (CAC-1170): Computers & Accessories

• 14. Re: NUC5i5RYH Mini Displayport - HDMI 2.0
                                    ivanu_intel

Hello jjwork,

The Intel® NUC5i5RYH has the Intel® Core™ i5-5250U Processor inside and this processor supports the following resolution:

Resolution.PNG

The adapter at that link should be able to help you, however, we recommend using straight connection for better results.

Regards,

Ivan

1 2 Previous Next