5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 8:47 PM by Cesar Badilla

Thunderbolt 3 HDCP 2.2 Support

AggressorPrime

While it has been reported that the Thunderbolt 3 controller (DSL6540 and DSL6340) features an integrated LSPCON to convert one of the DP 1.2 signals provided to the controller into an HDMI 2.0 signal with HDCP 2.2, I was wondering whether the controller also adds HDCP 2.2 copy protection to either the Thunderbolt 3 port (via USB Type-C), the native DP 1.2 port (via USB Type-C), and/or the native DP 1.2 port (via standard DP or mDP) that can be provided by the controller?

As a followup question, having reviewed Volume 1 of the 6th Generation Intel Core Processor Family datasheet, looking on page 44 under note 7 for Table 2-19: "HDMI2.0 implemented via LSPCON device. Only one LSPCON with HDCP2.2 support is supported per processor platform." Does this limitation only affect additional LSPCON for DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 w/ HDCP 2.2 conversion, or does it also affect any controller/integrator which may add HDCP 2.2 copy protection? For instance, could a motherboard manufacturer utilize the MegaChips MDCP2800 LSPCON to convert one of the processor's DP 1.2 signals into HDMI 2.0 w/ HDCP 2.2 and also use the Thunderbolt 3 controller to provide HDCP 2.2 support over Thunderbolt 3 and/or native DP 1.2 (assuming such HDCP 2.2 integration is possible for these ports using the Thunderbolt 3 controller, if not, via some other HDCP 2.2 integrator) and allow the user to access all 3 displays (1 HDMI 2.0 one, 2 Thunderbolt 3/DP 1.2 ones) at once with HDCP 2.2 protected content?

The reason I ask this question is because according to this slide provided by Lattice Semiconductor, it seems that Thunderbolt 3 controllers do provide support for HDCP 2.2 over the Thunderbolt ports as well. I would like to confirm this with Intel staff however.
      USB%20Type-C1.jpg

Slide taken from 世界会围着USB Type-C转? - OFweek电子工程网

• 1. Re: Thunderbolt 3 HDCP 2.2 Support
          Cesar Badilla

HelloAggressorPrime,

In order to provide a more accurate answer to your question, please provide more information about your current system integration.

Which (chipset), motherboard and operating system are you using?

Which are the devices, that are going to be attached to the computer?

As far as I know, when we read about 4K TV's, we get to the point where both HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 are both able to transmit copyrighted content securely thanks to HDCP encryption .

The HDMI 2.0 interface requires TV's and components to be able to transfer the  4K video signal to the receiver device. However, the main difference between HDMI 2.0* interface and DP*, thunderbolt 3*, etc using HDCP 2.2 encryption is that HDMI 2.0 is backward-compatible with previous HDMI versions, whilst HDCP 2.2 though Thunderbolt 3 or DP via the USB Type C interface is not backward-compatible when it comes to 4K video. For example you may attach older sources, such as regular Blu-ray* players or cable boxes to a new 4K compatible TV and enjoy a full  HD picture. Unfortunately, if a 4K compatible TV detects a 4K video source plugged to the HDCP 2.2, it is going to look for the HDCP 2.2 authentication(Key) in order to complete the digital handshake. If it does not confirm the HDCP authentication Key or if it is not present then no 4K picture is displayed.

According to Mecgachips*  the MCDP28 products continue to  expand current DisplayPort* offerings in the growing 4K video space that major Original equipment manufacturers (OEM's) are selecting for their next generation of notebooks and tablets based on Intel® processors and USB Type-C accessories:

*MCDP2800 (64 LFBGA, 7x7mm) – LSPCON allows Motherboard down-configuration application solution.

*MCDP2850 (64 LFBGA, 7x7mm) – USB Type-C / DisplayPort to HDMI2.0  provides accessory application solutions.

Regards,

Caesar B.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 2. Re: Thunderbolt 3 HDCP 2.2 Support
            AggressorPrime

This is not a personal tech issue, but more of an inquiry into the capabilities of the Thunderbolt 3 controllers.

Let us say one were to use a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 (rev. 1.0) motherboard. This board is now a certified Thunderbolt 3 motherboard. It also features a MegaChips MDCP2800 LSPCON to convert one of the DP 1.2 signals from the processor into an HDMI 2.0a w/ HDCP 2.2 connection. So assuming we are using Windows 10 Pro x64 and this motherboard, could a display manufacturer create a Thunderbolt 3 display that receives 8 HBR2 (5.4Gbps) lanes (Thunderbolt 3 mode via the USB Type-C connector) from the Thunderbolt 3 controller with HDCP 2.2 protection? Could a display manufacturer create a DisplayPort 1.2 display that receives 4 HBR2 (5.4Gbps) lanes (DP1.2 native mode via the USB Type-C connector) from the Thunderbolt 3 controller with HDCP 2.2 protection? Could one of these theoretical displays receive HDCP 2.2 protected content simultaneously with a connected HDMI 2.0 display (via the MegaChips MDCP2800 LSPCON powered HDMI port) receiving HDCP 2.2 content?

Since I know of no currently available Thunderbolt 3 or DisplayPort 1.2 displays with HDCP 2.2 support, this is more of an inquiry into the Thunderbolt 3 controller's capability, as in, can it inject HDCP 2.2 protection for Thunderbolt 3 mode and/or DP1.2 native mode connections, and can it do this side-by-side an LSPCON that converts DP1.2 to HDMI 2.0a w/ HDCP 2.2?

• 3. Re: Thunderbolt 3 HDCP 2.2 Support
              Cesar Badilla

Hello AggressorPrime,

In this particular case I suggest contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM)  in Order to confirm how they integrated the Thunderbolt 3 on the motherboard.

Please let us know which processor you will be using and the specific model of the motherboard because support for HDCP 2.2 through Thunderbolt 3  depends not only on the processor but also on the chipset, graphics card(s) and the motherboard, etc.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 4. Re: Thunderbolt 3 HDCP 2.2 Support
                AggressorPrime

Ok, let us say we are using a Core i7-6700K Skylake CPU. The chipset is Z170. The graphics card is irrelevant because the Thunderbolt 3 controller receives its 2 DP 1.2 links from the CPU's built-in GPU itself. And let us assume we are using a motherboard that could support HDCP 2.2. My question is, since Intel clearly states within its datasheets that none of its current CPUs natively support HDCP 2.2 (that support is supposedly coming in certain Kaby Lake configurations), is the Thunderbolt 3 controller able to add HDCP 2.2 support to a Thunderbolt 3 connection (8 HBR2 lanes provided by the Thunderbolt 3 controller using a USB Type-C port) or to a DisplayPort 1.2 native connection (4 HBR2 lanes provided by the Thunderbolt 3 controller using a USB Type-C port or using a DP/mDP port) in addition to providing HDCP 2.2 support to what we already know it can provide it to, namely the HDMI 2.0 connection?

This isn't a question for the OEM because I'm not questioning a specific case. I'm questioning the capabilities of the Thunderbolt 3 controller assuming ideal circumstances with current Skylake technology (e.g. Core i7-6700K and Z170). We know Skylake cannot provide HDCP 2.2 in its native form. It needs a chip to add this support. The MegaChips MDCP2800 LSPCON does this with DP 1.2-to-HDMI 2.0 conversion. Reports indicate that Thunderbolt 3 controllers do the same with their DP 1.2-to-HDMI 2.0 conversion. My question is, if everything else is made right to support this adding on of HDCP 2.2 support to the Thunderbolt 3 (8 HBR2) pipeline and/or DP 1.2 (4 HBR2) pipeline, can the Thunderbolt 3 controller add this support?

You mention HDCP 2.2 support as if it is possible on Thunderbolt 3, but I don't know if you mean it is possible because it can add it (which is what I'm asking), or because it can take a source that already uses HDCP 2.2 and pass that source through, preserving the HDCP 2.2 protection.

• 5. Re: Thunderbolt 3 HDCP 2.2 Support
                  Cesar Badilla

Hello AggressorPrime,

We are currently  investigating if the integration you are questioning is possible and supported by Skylake technology.

Regards,

Caesar B.