Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

i5 2500k not OC Halt and Catch Fire problem.

DPiet
Beginner

Hey, I'm having a really annoying problem with my i5 2500k CPU. A few months ago it started hanging. Not with a BSOD. I'm just using my PC as usual and it suddenly freezes, everything on the screen stays still, sound loops, and the reset button on the case doesn't work. After about 20 seconds the computer cuts power to itself, stays off for about 2 seconds before starting back up. Few months ago it happened every week or so, but this week I had that happen to me 2-3 times a day. Event log has no errors recorded at the time of the issue.

Also, Windows 10 doesn't read the CPU usage properly, showing me millions of percents of usage, making the CPU run at 100% frequency at all times. Could that be the cause of the issue?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It would be a good idea to try a known working operating system or perhaps a Linux* distro if you dare, just to discard a software cause.

Did you try testing (or swapping) other hardware components such as power supply, memory, etc?

Try running http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

0 Kudos
DPiet
Beginner

It also happens on other operating systems.

I can't swap out any components, would try if I could.

I heard that this CPU has some problems with ASRock motherboards, and I have one. I never updated bios, it's running on stock flash.

Here is the output of IPDT http://pastebin.com/mgK8bPeX --------------------------- --- Testing Processor 1 --- -------------------- - Pastebin.com

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I would remove the add-on cards and run the graphics and audio from onboard at least to try isolating the cause.

Otherwise, you may need to consider updating the BIOS, check the release notes if available; or, take the system to a computer shop for further testing.

0 Kudos