1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 2:52 PM by ivanu_intel

Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.

JustAfool

Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with Intel Core™ i5

16 GB Ram

Windows 7 64 Bit SP1

Montior is DELL 3007 WFP-HC

DVI-D (dual link) with HDCP

Cable to convert from MiniHDMI to DVI:

Mini HDMI to DVI-D Cable 19 Pin HDMI (C) Male to DVI-D Male - 1920 x 1200 Video

As you can see in title I'm only getting 1280 max res, which is very pixilated on a 30" monitor.

I downloaded the latest graphics drivers from Intel.

What could be the issue? The cable? The monitor? Intel Motherboard won't support?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
          dougho

I am not from Intel but I have that NUC and that monitor resolution with a later version of Windows.

Although you say that you downloaded latest graphics driver from Intel, your symptom sure sounds like it is running Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

I would try again to make sure that you actually got Intel's graphics driver installed.  Download the proper 64 bit version and run it - if you download the zip you have to look inside for what to run.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
            N.Scott.Pearson

It only happened to me a couple of times, but I have seen an issue where Windows fails in its first attempt to access the monitor's EDID information. In this case, you are resolution-limited like this. I saw this with Windows 8.1 and again with Windows 10 after I upgraded. To check out this possibility, here's something quick, simple and conclusive for you to try: Right-click on an empty area of the screen and select the Screen Resolution or Display Settings (depending upon your Windows version) option in the menu displayed. On the resulting screen, click on the Detect button. In my case, when I do this, the EDID information is read and the monitor is switched to its proper resolution.

...Scott

• 3. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
              JustAfool

I download the latest drivers, via the Intel Download Manager and then manually as well for the HD 6000 set prior to posting this.

I tried the "detect" trick, that didn't work. Thank you for the suggestions guys.

I ordered a 24 pin cable to see if that makes a difference. It will arrive Monday. Otherwise I'll have to return NUC or sell & buy a monitor, neither option appeals to me.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                jasonNUC

I've used a number of NUCs and have found them to be finicky about cables.  In almost all cases for me, video problems (missing resolutions, no picture, screen goes black, etc.) it ended up being the cable.  I've actually had the most luck just ordering generic cables off of ebay, provided they are rated for the max resolution.

Right now I have a DE3815TYKHE that works perfectly until I connect it with the 1ft HDMI to HDMI cable I use on my workbench.  With that cable I get no picture.  I use the cable with all of my other NUCs (with a miniDisplayPort or miniHDMI adapter) and they work fine.  But this one doesn't like it. When I use another cable it works fine.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                  JustAfool

Well, I just got a Bluerigger 24 pin HDMI to DVI cable (and a Mini HDMI converter).

The is issue is the same, still 1280 x 800 resolution. Is there anyone from Intel with a solution for this?

• 6. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                    JustAfool

So I decided to plug the NUC into my TV which has an HDMI connection. I just used HDMI cable and Mini HDMI converter. On this screen I can get the full resolution of the TV which is 1920 x 1080. (Although the image/aspect ratio was off, not sure who to adjust that is the Intel Graphics driver only gave the 16.9 option)

I've already tried two DVI cables for my monitor and both do 1280 x 800 resolution. Should I keep wasting money on cables or buy a monitor that has an HDMI input?

• 7. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                      jasonNUC

I regularly use hdmi to dvi adapters (not cables) with my nuc and have no problems getting 1080p. It seems a shame to drop money on a new monitor when the one you have should work fine. If you're willing to wait, I'd suggest ordering a dvi to hdmi adapter and trying it with an hdmi cable. The adapters are a lot cheaper than a new monitor.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                        JustAfool

I just got my 3rd cable in the mail today, a DVI D Dual Link to HDMI cable. With this cable I can't use the monitor, colored bars just flash across the screen.

I found this post interesting:

3007WFP can't exceed 1280x800? - Monitors Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Still not sure if it's the montior, the Intel graphics card, or the cable causing the problem....

• 9. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                          jasonNUC

If the NUC and the cables work with another monitor, I think that speaks volumes.  I suppose it could be a combination of cable and monitor, but it seems the NUC is fine.  I was just looking at the Q&A section for the monitor on amazon and noticed someone else mentioned only getting this resolution:

Q:    How do you get 2560x1400 resolution w/ a MacBook Pro? Mine w/ a display port to DVI-D converter can only do 1280x800 

A:  Hi Katie, I use the Apple Mini MB571Z/A DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to run my 2 3007WFP-HC dell monitors off my MBP at 2560x1600. 

Alex Ritzcovan answered on June 8, 2015  

A: DVI-D cable that's powered. 

Mark Stroetzel Glasberg answered on June 8, 2015  

A:  Depending on the age of your MBP, it may only have a max output of 1280. 

Al Clay answered on June 8, 2015  
                          • 10. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                            JustAfool

Well, the other monitor is only HD 1920 x 1080, and the NUC supports that. My Dell monitor is 2560 resolution, and works fine with my tower computer/graphics card, but not the NUC.

So the question is does the NUC via mini HDMI support 2560 resolution? If not, no cable combination will work. The NUC is advertised as being able to show 4k Ultra HD, so it should be able to do 2560 I would think, since that is lower than 4k resolution.

The question you posted is about a MBP. Someone was able to get 2560 via the pro, another poster said older MBP's might not support it. My NUC is new with Intel 6000 graphic card.

Does the 6000 graphics card display 2560 resolution via mini HDMI? That is what I need to know.

• 11. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                              Prabh.J.

The HDMI port on NUC doesn't support 2560*1660. You need a powered miniDP to DVI converter like this and make sure you usea DVI-D cable too http://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Displayport-Converter-Ultrahd-Monitor/dp/B00OQX9526

Also you can use midDP to displayport cable if you monitor has it.

• 12. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                                ivanu_intel

Hello JustAfool,

At this point, to get the Max Resolution we recommend using straight connection, Mini-HDMI to HDMI monitor or Mini-DisplayPort to a DisplayPort monitor.

You can see the resolutions this unit supports at:

http://ark.intel.com/products/84984/Intel-Core-i5-5250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

We strongly recommend not using video adapters or convertors. This is because these devices need to modify and transfer the signal coming from the system to display it in another connector type and during this process the system can be affected and therefore not displaying the information or sending the signals as it should.

• 13. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                                  JustAfool

Thanks for that link. So it claims to support 2560 resolution.

The monitor I have doesn't have an HDMI input so I can't take your recommendation for it.

It might be an issue with the cable adapters, but I have no choice because there is only a DVI-D connection on the monitor.

I bought a monitor with an HDMI connection. It works fine at typical HD/1080. I would be curious if there was a 2560 monitor with HDMI to test if the NUC does support it.

Case closed I guess.

• 14. Re: Intel NUC only gives 1280x800 max resolution.
                                    waldo22

JustAfool,

I know this is an old thread, but I have a lot of these monitors and can answer the question due to the months of time I spent trying to figure this out.  I think they're great monitors and they can be had used nowadays (early 2016) for less than $300.

The short answer is that the Dell 3007wfp monitors support exactly two resolutions: 1280x800 and 2560x1600.  There is no scaler built in.

This means that you must use Dual-link DVI to get 2560x1600 WQXGA with these monitors. (you know this already)

Unfortunately Intel integrated graphics does not support dual-link DVI (at least not with the 4000 and 4400 series; I'm not sure about newer versions).

HDMI->DVI adapters definitely don't work; HDMI 1.3 and above only supports WQXGA by using a 340Mhz link, which is not supported by older DVI monitors.

The big problem is that miniDP->DVI adapters such as the one linked above on Amazon do NOT work.  Don't buy anything that looks like that; you need a powered USB adapter.  Even though they say "active" and "dual-link", they do a weird type of single-link DVI, not real Dual-link. (the same 340Mhz signal used by HDMI 1.3 I mentioned above)

From the manufacturer:

"Resolutions above 1920x1200 60z require monitors to support DVI-D single link speed of 340MHZ, such as Dell U2711 & U3011 and Philips 288p6. Monitors with dual-link DVI-D input that require two 165MHZ link signals will not work with resolutions higher than 1080p."

Nearly all older Dual-link DVI monitors only support 165Mhz DVI links, and require 2 separate 165Mhz links to support resolutions over 1920x1200.  This is real dual-link.

Unfortunately the only DisplayPort->Dual-link adapters that support this are the active adapters that are powered by USB, such as the Apple adapter or the Monoprice Adapter.

This adds $70 to your cost.

-Wes

1 2 Previous Next