11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 9:20 AM by DiegoV_Intel

Sending data to Analytics

tejaChintalapati

Hello!

I'm trying to send sensor data to cloud and was successful. However, after sometime, server stopped receiving data. I haven't changed code.

I tried sending test data from terminal using iotkit-admin observation roomTemperature 27 and while it was successfully sent from Edison, server isn't receiving data. Is there any upper limit either on the number of samples that can be sent or data limit for Analytics? Or what might be the reason for the server not receiving data?

Please help me understand this issue.

Thanks

Teja
      Screen Shot 2015-09-12 at 21.42.17.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-12 at 21.44.34.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-12 at 21.47.54.png

• 1. Re: Sending data to Analytics
          DiegoV_Intel

Hello tejaChintalapati ,

Could you provide the output of the following commands?

• iotkit-admin -V
          • iotkit-admin test

Additionally, did you check that the status of the device in the cloud is active?

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Sending data to Analytics
            tejaChintalapati

DiegoV_Intel,

Thanks for the response. As requested, here's the output for both the commands you requested for:

root@tejaEdison:/#               

root@tejaEdison:/# iotkit-admin -V

root@tejaEdison:/# iotkit-admin test

2015-09-11T18:34:24.510Z - info: Trying to connect to host ...

2015-09-11T18:34:26.368Z - info: Connected to dashboard.us.enableiot.com

2015-09-11T18:34:26.372Z - info: Environment: prod

2015-09-11T18:34:26.374Z - info: Build: 0.14.2

root@tejaEdison:/# iotkit-admin observation roomTemperature 27

2015-09-11T18:34:34.099Z - info: Submitting:  n=roomTemperature, v=27

2015-09-11T18:34:36.183Z - info: Response received:  response=none detail, status=0

2015-09-11T18:34:36.188Z - info: Observation Sent response=none detail, status=0

And yes, the board is active on cloud. But, it's not displaying the data that I sent. I cannot understand what went wrong.

Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 22.23.07.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-15 at 22.19.24.png

Best

Teja

• 3. Re: Sending data to Analytics
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi tejaChintalapati,

I recommend you to upgrade to the latest version following section 3 of this guide: enableiot/iotkit-agent · GitHub. After the upgrade, you might need to re-register the device and sensors on the cloud.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                ron.rao

hi teja

have you fix the problem?

I have the same issue as u and can't fix it according to the advice above.

Regrads

Ron

• 5. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                  tejaChintalapati

ron.rao, It has something to do with the server side of the IoT Analytics site. I can see the data reaching the server and the observation count is incremented as well. But, server cannot display data.

I re-registered the components again.

DiegoV_Intel, you may've to ping your Backend team to look into this issue.

Teja

• 6. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                    ron.rao

looking forward to get ur help to fix the issue, many thanks!

• 7. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                      mhahn

tejaChintalapati wrote:

Hello!

I'm trying to send sensor data to cloud and was successful. However, after sometime, server stopped receiving data. I haven't changed code.

I tried sending test data from terminal using iotkit-admin observation roomTemperature 27 and while it was successfully sent from Edison, server isn't receiving data. Is there any upper limit either on the number of samples that can be sent or data limit for Analytics? Or what might be the reason for the server not receiving data?

Please help me understand this issue.

Thanks

Teja

not a solution to your problem but rather a comment on "iotkit-admin observation" which IMHO is only meant to be used for test purposes. It bypasses the iotkit-agent and has a huge latency due to the fact it always needs to negotiate with the server rather than streaming data (like you could do using iotkit-agent). ["streaming" not in the sense of real time data - but still less overhead than going via iotkit-admin]

• 8. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                        DiegoV_Intel

Hello tejaChintalapati,

Could you please provide the agent.log file? It is found in the /tmp folder. Additionally, which browser are you using to display the data/graphs (browser version)?

Regards,

Diego.

• 9. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                          anupam_on

I would suggest you to POST the same data to another REST based cloud and see what happens. Example AT&T and ubidots. Try and see what happens

• 10. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                            tejaChintalapati

DiegoV_Intel, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I refreshed my board couple of days ago. There's no log file available now.

I use Safari browser V 9.0.

I've uploaded the test data here. Please have a look.

Best

Teja

• 11. Re: Sending data to Analytics
                              DiegoV_Intel

Hello tejaChintalapati,

Have you tried with different browsers? Do all of them have the same behavior?

Regards,

Diego.