4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 3:35 AM by the5322

On an i7 920 processor with HT enabled, which of the cores seen in Windows are the material ones and which are the virtual ones ?

the5322

On an i7 920 processor with HyperThreading enabled, which of the cores seen in Windows are the material ones and which are the virtual ones ?

I am running 4 instances of Folding@Home on my i7 920 and I usually assign 1 specific core to each instance of the program, so that Windows will not run them on the same core than other programs.

The problem is, with HyperThreading enabled, I have 8 cores. 4 of them are "real" while 4 others are "virtual".

As HyperThreading makes the unused instructions on a core available for other programs, if I run an instance of the program on one "real" core and on its associated "virtual" core, I will not benefit from the full power of the processor, since the two programs will attempt to ose the same instruction sets.

All that windows tells me is that they are numbered from 0 to 7. That's not really useful...

Which cores are the real ones, which are the virtual ones, and which real one is associated with which virtual one ???