6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 3:14 PM by PabloM_Intel

Edison connection issues

rmandrade

I connected my edison arduino break out board to my computer and it showed up as a connected device as expected.  I then downloaded and ran the windows 64 bit installer and my board no longer connects to my computer.  I can't run a flashall or do anything with my board and I have tried everything I could find to recover my board.  Does anyone have any way to get my board to show up as a device on my computer?

• 1. Re: Edison connection issues
          PabloM_Intel

Hi rmandrade,

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

• 2. Re: Edison connection issues
            rmandrade

Hi Pablo,

I have a 9v battery adapter as an external power source.

Yes by run flashall I mean that I have added the dfu-util to the same folder and the yocto image and then running the flashall.bat file.

Also I have tried installing the drivers manually and still my board does not connect. In my device manager I have the following:

Ports.JPG

Thanks,

Ray

• 3. Re: Edison connection issues
              DavidRobinson

I've had the exact same issue.  I've probably spent 10 hours on this thing trying to get it to connect and was starting to wonder if I got a bad board, or if these struggles are normal.  I talked to a gentleman at the oregon "mini maker" faire and he indicated that these struggles are fairly common... which makes me think that if true, its not too good for Intel's reputation.  I've tried both win7 and win8.  I've reinstalled using both the packaged and manual methods.  I've been able to get the board to be a few times visible... but as soon as I try installing the FTDI (I think that is what it is called), the board goes invisible again.  I'm powering mine with two brand-new micro-usb cables.  I'm afraid to update my home machine to win10 at this time because then it would introduce yet another potential driver problem (could be an unfounded fear, but I'd like to get this darn thing working first!).  At this point I'm stumped and all my "re-install" loops are starting to look like the definition of insanity because I'm running out of variations to try

• 4. Re: Edison connection issues
                Lohith

Hi DavidRobinson,

Yes, the struggle is real. I probably spent a good week trying to get it to work! Is the driver installation the only problem you are facing? If you're open to suggestions, why don't you try using a linux image on Vmware. As the Edison uses a linux image as SPI or on the sd card, you wont need any drivers !! Works like a charm!

PS: Virtual machines are known to have some issues with timing you might face some problems with internet connectivity.

Use a Virtual Machine only if you cant spare some space on your hard disk.

If you can, then just dual boot (requires a 20Gb partition on the hard disk).

• 5. Re: Edison connection issues
                  DavidRobinson

Lohith, I may have to do the Linux route.  Just for kicks, I did plug it into our chromebook and got immediate recognition.  However, the chrome based IDE (codebender.cc) didn't yet have support added for working with Edison.  So, I could see the board from the chromebook, but still couldn't download the code to the board.

What I really intended was to set things up for my child to learn Arduino basics and using the hardware that we already have available for my wife and kids to use.  The sad thing (from Intel perspective) is that we checked out an Arduino "kit" from the library.  We plugged it in.  It just worked.  Nothing special needed, no updates, no recipe to follow other than downloading/installing the Arduino IDE.  I realize that a "maker" audience is more likely to put up with configuration issues than the typical user.  However, even with a "maker" mentality, I'd much prefer to tinker with creating than with various headaches that seem more like I got a defective product than user error.  I'm motivated to get this to work in the windows environment only because I work for Intel and its advertised to work with windoze (and a windows machine is what my kids use).  However, if I worked for any other company, I would have returned the Edison and moved onto another company's product (and advised others to do the same).

Does this community have a BKM's list of things to check for and/or try to get Edison working in the windows environment?

Thanks,
                  David Robinson

• 6. Re: Edison connection issues
                    PabloM_Intel

Hi DavidRobinson,

I see that you’re powering your board just by using the USB cables? Do you think you can try to use an external power supply? Sometimes, the power provided by the USB connection is not enough to complete some of the processes, that’s why in occasions the process hangs or doesn’t even start. I would suggest you to first try with an external power supply (7-15V) as it is the most simple “fix” to do and if this doesn’t work you can give Lohith's suggestion a try.

Also, are you sure that the Virtual Com Port is not appearing as a different device in your Device manager?

Regards,

PabloM_Intel