8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 3:01 AM by chewcheik

Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card

chewcheik

Hi everyone,

Environment: windows 7, putty and using 2 USB cable to power up.

Now I am scare that I ruin my Intel Edison board.

Yesterday I follow the steps from How to boot Edison from an SD card (Linux) .

I know this is for Linux but I cant find the step that show on windows.

So have a try then the problem occurs already:

It keep on reboot but I stop it with " run do_ota"

The output

PSH KERNEL VERSION: b0182b2b

WR: 20104000

SCU IPC: 0x800000d0  0xfffce92c

PSH miaHOB version: TNG.B0.VVBD.0000000c

microkernel built 11:24:08 Feb  5 2015

******* PSH loader *******

PCM page cache size = 192 KB

Cache Constraint = 0 Pages

Arming IPC driver ..

Adding page store pool ..

PagestoreAddr(IMR Start Address) = 0x04899000

pageStoreSize(IMR Size)          = 0x00080000

*** Ready to receive application ***

U-Boot 2014.04 (Jun 19 2015 - 12:05:55)

Watchdog enabled

DRAM:  980.6 MiB

MMC:   tangier_sdhci: 0

In:    serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

Target:ifwi

Partitioning already done...

Partitioning already done...

Saving Environment to MMC...

Writing to redundant MMC(0)... done

GADGET DRIVER: usb_dnl_dfu

Then I also cant detect my virtual com port. Do I ruin the board? Quite expensive on my country. 

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
          smokytrace

You might try running the flashall batch file and restore the flash to a stock image:

Instructions are found here:

How to Run the Flashall Script

I haven't tried the Windows version but I've run the flashall script from a Linux host and it worked the first time.

Just to get more info:

Did you try cycling power to the board?

Do you see any leds that would indicate that the board is powered?

Did you try powering the board from a USB hub or something that you're sure supplies enough current?

Did you smell any burning electronics or chips overheating?

Did you try rebooting your host Windows system (the universal solution to most computer problems)?

Do you see any USB devices being enumerated on the USB bus when you connect the Edison board?

• 2. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
            chewcheik

Hi smolytrace,

FYI:

Q1: Did you try cycling power to the board?

I do not understand your question. Sorry, but I using 2 USB cable to power up the Edison board.

Q2: Do you see any leds that would indicate that the board is powered?

Yes, DS1 and DS2 are light up not at the same time.

intel board.JPG

Q3: Did you try powering the board from a USB hub or something that you're sure supplies enough current?

No, I direct use my Laptop to power up the board.

Q4: Did you smell any burning electronics or chips overheating?

No, no burning smell.

Q5: Did you try rebooting your host Windows system (the universal solution to most computer problems)?

I try to restart my laptop for several times.

Q6: Do you see any USB devices being enumerated on the USB bus when you connect the Edison board?

The USB cable and the port on the laptop I have try to connect to my smart phone to transfer photo. Still can transfer the file.

Thank you and I will try on your suggestion.

• 3. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
              chewcheik

Hi smokytrace,

I try to execute from your suggestion

flash_bt.JPG

I have done what the instruction is and I saw the installation for USB is fail.
              Thank you

• 4. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
                smokytrace

Looks like you have admin rights when running the flashall script so that's good.

I'm not sure what Windows provides for logs and tools but when running Linux I notice a usb device (8087:0a99) show up for about 3 seconds when the GADGET DRIVER: usb_dni_dfu line is displayed.

Looks something like this:

Bus 003 Device 061: ID 8087:0a99 Intel Corp.

Device Descriptor:

idVendor           0x8087 Intel Corp.

idProduct          0x0a99

That's the device that the flashall script is waiting for:

did you unplug the usb cable that's providing power to the board and plug it back in when the script prompts you? (note I did not need to unplug the usb cable that connects to the serial debug port but I'm not using the same board (the mini breakout board))

You could also interrupt u-boot using the serial debugging terminal and try running:

run do_flash

The important thing is the timing; the USB device has to be detected while the script is waiting for it.

• 5. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
                  chewcheik

Hi smokytrace,

I try flash my edison using Ubuntu

Screenshot from 2015-09-10 10:53:19.png

I saw this comment "Your board needs to reboot to complete the flashing procedure...".

Then it direct exit the comment already and I cant detect my Edison virtual com port yet.

Its the correct procedure ?

Thank you

• 6. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
                    smokytrace

Looks like it worked, that's the same text I saw on my board.

It takes a while for the board to reboot a few times to complete the install, just don't unplug it while it's writing stuff.

On the debug console you should be able to see some output when u-boot starts.  If the install happens to be complete when you connect with the debug console you can press enter and you should see a login prompt.  (you can login as root with no password)

I couldn't tell from the picture of the board if you had unplugged the micro secure digital card, but if not you might try rebooting without the card plugged in.  I don't have that board so I can't test it and don't know which flash device takes boot precedence.

• 7. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
                      smokytrace

One other thing I just noticed; it looks like you didn't run the flashall script as super user.  It would be nice if the script detected this and warned the user.

• 8. Re: Intel Edison virtual com port missing after boot Edison from an SD card
                        chewcheik

Thank you smoktrace. It is work already.

I think its because of the Intel phone flash software have problem.