11 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2011 9:50 PM by

Two DX48BT2 Boards w/ Same Issue

gadgetfox

Back in Sept 2008 I put together a system based around the DX48BT2 board, taking care to select specifically tested and approved hardware whenever possible. Upon putting it into service with Vista 64 I began to have issues where the system would spontaneously reboot at seemingly random times -- sometimes it would be while working in graphics applications, sometimes when sitting idle, sometimes on boot up. Figuring this was 64 bit driver issues or Vista issues I put up with it somewhat and kept updating drivers as they would come out. Sometimes the problem would seem to ease for a month or so, but would always return.

Eventually I bought all the parts to build another one, figuring that this would be the best way to go. I changed some of the components out and increased the RAM, but kept the case, PSU, board, and processor the same. Due to lack of time the system sat around a while and then I decided to wait for Windows 7. I just recently installed the GA release and got all my stuff migrated over -- only to find that the newly built system is doing almost exactly the same behavior. I have even had it freeze up on me in the BIOS screen while checking settings (the Vista 64 might do that as well, but I have never seen it).

I'm sort of at my wit's end here as I have been all over the Net and there seem to be no common pools of this sort of problem -- yet I have had it happen TWICE now. I'm no overclocker and took great pains to carefully select parts that were approved for the board. I have kept the drivers up to date religiously. Relevant specs are:

System #1 (Vista 64)

1 x Antec NSK6580 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply
      1 x Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Motherboard
      1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500
      4 x Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/1G

System #2 (Windows 7 64)

<same except for memory>

2 x Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K2/4G

If there are any suggestions here I would be glad to take them. Are there any Intel testing utilities I can run? I can find nothing in the BIOS.

It shouldn't be this difficult...