3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 4:23 AM by Cpt.Dogfruit

I know zero about xp computers HELP!

Clutch53crs

My Toshiba satellite M35x-s114  lap top  with windows XP.. I Turned it on was looking at yahoo site and my pictures and screen went black with some writing as follows...... Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (built 082) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation....... For Realtek RT8139(X) / 8130 / 810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)...PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable  ... PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE Rom.            Then it repeats this message again...  Then goes blank black,then repeats over and over and never stops??? My daughter got into some place where it says I need a pass word but don't know what it is??? Is this lap top shot or can some one help me??? Thank You Richard

• 1. Re: I know zero about xp computers HELP!
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

I think what you are saying is that your system is rebooting and not finding your windows installation on you hard drive. This either means that your windows installation has gone or your hardrive has.

You could try putting a windows disk in and seeing if you can install it again, but i think it is more likely your harddrive has gone. In that case you will need to get someone to fit a new one. It might be best to go to a local pc shop...

• 2. Re: I know zero about xp computers HELP!
            Nico

it actually means it cannot find any harddrive, which indicates a drive failure. same happens when you unplug the drive, but thats unlikely in a laptop.

• 3. Re: I know zero about xp computers HELP!
              Cpt.Dogfruit

This "it actually means it cannot find any harddrive" is actually not completly correct. It could just be that the MBR has been corrupted/wiped/damaged therefore the HDD is still functioning. Less of a chance, yes true but still a posibility. Even if the HDD has gone, what the system is not finding is the MBR not the actual HDD, so infact "it actually means it cannot find any harddrive" is not correct.