6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 3:08 PM by CMata_Intel

GPIO Power

Dopeysmith

I have two Edison boards, one connected to a SparkFun GPIO block & one to a Raspberry Pi Block, both hooked up to LI Battery blocks. When I switch the battery unit on all pins appear to be positive (i.e. if I hook up a LED it's always lit, no matter what I tell that pin to do?? Help would be appreciated .

• 1. Re: GPIO Power
          CMata_Intel

Hi Dopeysmith,

Which image version are you using on your board? If you run the configure_edison --version command you should get 159.

Are you having the same behavior in both configurations?

How are you changing the state of the pins? Are you able to use the Arduino IDE?

Are you using the MRAA library?

Regards,

Charlie

• 2. Re: GPIO Power
            Dopeysmith

Thanks CMata_Intel, version is 159 & I get the same thing on both configurations. It's odd, I would have expected the pins to be low unless you set them high. I'm using the MRAA library using node.js, but the problem isn't the IDE or library, without even running any code, the pins are powered.

• 3. Re: GPIO Power
              CMata_Intel

Hi Dopeysmith,

Are you having this behavior in all the pins of the board?

Also, how are you changing the value of these pins? You said that no matter what the state of the pin doesn't change. Please provide us the required information to replicate this so we could try to replicate it.

What is the outcome of running the blink sketch from the Arduino IDE?

Are you sure you don't have a short circuit in one of the blocks?

Are the modules working fine? Can you interact with them through Terminal Console without problems?

Regards,

Charlie

• 4. Re: GPIO Power
                CMata_Intel

Hi Dopeysmith,

I would like to know if you have updates in this? Have you been able to change the state of the pins without problems?

Regards,

Charlie

• 5. Re: GPIO Power
                  Dopeysmith

I've started again with new components & a new set of issues (stacked in this order):

Components:

1. Edison.

2. SparkFun Console Block.

3. SparkFun GPIO Block.

4. SparkFun Battery Block.

I can SSH to the Edison & WinSCP my code over, so it is working.

On the GPIO block, if I directly connect the 3.3v or 1.8v pin (or VSYS) & the GND pin to an LED, it lights up however, any attempt to bring a pin into the mix always fails (either pin as POS or GND).

Here is the simple code (using Cylon.js, but I only tried this after using mraa directly gave the same results):

var Cylon = require('cylon');

Cylon.robot({
                  connections: {
                    edison: { adaptor: 'intel-iot' }
                  },

devices: {
                    led: { driver: 'led', pin: 13 }
                  },

work: function (my) {
                    every((1).second(), my.led.toggle);
                  }
                  }).start();

• 6. Re: GPIO Power
                    CMata_Intel

Hi Dopeysmith,

What was the outcome of running the blink sketch from the Arduino IDE?

If you are using in all the codes the pin 13, this pin is associated to the gpio128, are you using this pin or are you using the pin called GP13?

Regards,

Charlie