1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 7:24 AM by orange109

Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)

orange109

I've been reading the big post about booting headless.

I was using the DN2820FYKH (previous model of Celeron based NUC) until now and was able to remote access the NUC while headless booting with UltraVNC after configuring in (MS Windows 8.1 Home Edition OEM) Screen Resolution the following:

1.'Detect"

2. Click on the 'Another display not detected' box

3. Then under multiple displays drop down list I chose 'Try to connect anyway on: VGA'

See attached screen shots.

But now after not being able to get the previous DN2820FYKH model any more I had to switch to the new model (NUC5CPYH) which does not allow me to remote access with neither UltraVNC/Teamviewer when booting headles! When trying to do the same steps, I click 'detect' but nothing happens!

I tried updating the bios to the latest version PYBSWCEL.86A.0031.EB and also tried installing the latest HD Graphics driver available for this NUC with Win 8.1 'GFX_Win7_8.1_64_15.38.4.4234'

This is just ridicules Intel!! Why don't you check these crucial things before releasing new models?? especially when there were so many complaints about this topic.

I'm running a business this is not just for fun and I have to have remote access support for the stations I have on my clients.

Your urgent help needed

EDIT/UPDATE:

I've been advised to try and mess around with the boot settings in the bios.

I've tried disabling uefi boot while enabling legacy and vice versa.

Disabling the legacy showed better results in UltraVNC/Teamviewer. I was able to actually control the headless NUC but I couldn't modify the tiny resolution it gave me (400x600)

Please help me with this. How do I achieve a normal resolution scale for the headless NUC remote access?

• 1. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
          cvare

Hi orange109, I'm trying to reproduce this error, just a couple of questions.  Are you using LAN or wireless?  Also Win8.1 32 or 64bit?  Thanks.

• 2. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
            orange109

Hello cvare,

I'm using lan in this case and the Win 8.1 is 64 bit version.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
              cvare

Thank you, one more question, did you install legacy or uefi?

• 4. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                orange109

Not sure what do you mean by 'install' the legacy / uefi boots optiones were there in the bios interface.

Please explain

• 5. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                  cvare

Hi orange109, when you install an OS, you can do so by hitting F10 when the NUC boots up.  When you do that you can select your USB/CD device (where the installer is) and choose either UEFI device or not, that is what I was referring to.  If you don't hit F10 and just let the installer run, you can tell how your OS was installed  by going into the BIOS (hit F2 on restart) and seeing where the "Windows Boot Manager" is under "Boot Order".

I tried to replicate your problem and I was able to access the headless NUC without a problem using Team Viewer.  I'm still working on UltraVNC.  Can you tell me what error you're getting when you try (a screen shot would be great if possible)?  Just so you know the way I tried in Team Viewer, I sign in (on the right side) and add the remote computer to my list of "Computers and Contacts".

• 6. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                    orange109

Hi,

As for the install question, I use an image of Win 8.1 which sits on a USB flash. I press F10 and use Acronic True Image to burn the OS image on my SSD.

Not sure which one of them is it.

As for the Team Viewer, as I mentioned in the update part of my post - "Disabling the legacy showed better results in UltraVNC/Teamviewer. I was able to actually control the headless NUC but I couldn't modify the tiny resolution it gave me (400x600)"

I don't get any error message in either Team Viewer or UltraVNC, it's just that UltraVNC /  teamviewer is very bad at 600x400 resolution scale.

Just to be clear, I disabled the legacy boot after I installed the image of the OS on the SSD.

Also, I tried doing all of the following on a fresh copy of Win 8.1 Home 64 bit since I thought there might be something wrong with my OS backup image, but it was the same on both.

• 7. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                      orange109

Oh and could you supply some screenshots indicating what is the resolution you're getting in the remote access? both Teamviwer and VNC

Thanks

• 8. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                        cvare

I just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you, I'm still working on replicating your problem.  Another couple questions.  What are you using to connect to the headless NUC, and what OS is it, also is it wired or wireless?

Yes, I saw that you could get TeamViewer to work if you disabled Legacy in BIOS (which is very strange, shouldn't have anything to do with it), but when Legacy isn't disabled what happens?  Nothing at all, do you get an error?

Lastly, have you tried to use TeamViewer to start automatically when the NUC boots, and then login from your other machine?  Not the way you described.  I will upload a document tomorrow if you're not sure how to do that, I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten about you.

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                          orange109

1. The computer I connect with to remote access is a desktop PC (Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz) running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I use UltraVNC or the latest Team viewer to try to control the NUC. The desktop PC is connected to the same home local network with a wire connection. Not that it matters because you get the same results either WiFi or if its a far away station.

2. When I left the legacy enabled and disabled the uefi boot I remember getting a bigger resolution but without any way to actually control the station. When both were enabled as it was in the default setting of the NUC bios, it just didn't work at all, I got a black screen.

3. The way I tried is to have team viewer start up when Windows boots as you suggest, otherwise I don't have a way to test it when I try to boot headless.

Just to be on the safe side, If I plug the screen off just a bit after doing a restart to the OS it would still work properly after booting back up. But when I shut down the NUC and turn it on again, then it won't work.

BTW, Some guy told me he managed to remote access the NUC with Windows remote desktop access, but I don't have Windows PRO on the NUC nor do I plan to purchase it just for the sake of remoting it.

It is surely a problem with Intel because VNC / Team viewer are cross platform products that work almost on any computer in the world. This also needs to work on these new NUC models while booting headless. Whether it should be a bios update or graphics driver update I don't know, but it should be fixed asap.

Please help

• 10. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                            Montclair

I have exactly the same problem as orange109 with my new NUC5PPYH which I'm using with Kodi as an HTPC. Once I turn off my HDMI connected display, and put the NUC to sleep then wake it up with the display off, Teamviewer shows the black screen as described in this thread.  If I send ctrl-alt-del to the NUC, I get a corrupted display as described elsewhere. I have to physically turn on the display for Teamviewer to be able to function correctly.

If I leave Kodi running, put the machine into suspend, wake it up, then reconnect, Kodi will sometimes display, however, it doesn't function correctly.  Trying to change to the Windows desktop or another application results in the black box syndrome. Alt-tabbing back to Kodi will show the display, however, mouse operation is funky and the mouse can't reach the bottom of the screen.

If, after turning the monitor on, I turn it back off, Teamviewer continues to function correctly. It's only when rebooting or awakening the NUC with the display off, do these problems develop. 

Lastly, I have these issues running wireless and wired.

I have these software versions:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1 64-bit

Intel display drivers 10.18.14.4234

Teamviewer 10.0.47484

Screenshots:

Mouse problem:

kodi.jpg

Headless boot / wake-on-lan / alt-tab out of Kodi after headless boot or wake-on-lan problem:

blackbox.jpg

Sending Ctrl-Alt-Del when black box is shown:

corrupted.jpg

• 11. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                              orange109

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

Come on Intel! Don't leave us hanging! Fix the drivers/bios or what ever needs fixing so we could remote access headless.

Shiran

• 12. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                                Montclair

It's obviously a driver issue as it was resolved in the big thread for the other NUC model. Why Intel didn't roll that out for the other models, I'm unclear. It's been over a year since this problem was discovered, and there's really no excuse for not having this patched for all NUC models by now.

Intel, can we get an update please? It's been two weeks since you've chimed in here.

• 13. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                                  orange109

Hello all,

attached is a screenshot of the headless nuc while remote accessed with UltraVNC while latest graphics driver installed.

It is not workable. I cant use the mouse & the keyboard - it only shows the desktop and thats that.

PLEASE FIX IT INTEL! WHY WOULD YOU RELEASE A NEW MODEL OF A NUC WHICH IS WORSE THEN THE PREVIOUS ONE?

Thanks,

UltraVNC screenshot NUC Celeron 3050 - not workable cant use mouse & keyboard - only shows the desktop and thats that.png

• 14. Re: Booting headless with the new NUC5CPYH (Celeron based)
                                    orange109

same goes for the RealVNC. Don't know why cvare said he got it to work. If you got it to work please tell me how you did it because its not working for me at all. Tried enabling/disabling the legacy boot. Nothing seems to work

Like in UltraVNC, It is not workable. I cant use the mouse & the keyboard - it only shows the desktop and thats that.

Intel this is just unacceptable!! I am using the NUC for business purposes and you are really causing me damages. How can you release a model that won't work headless (besides the pricey Team Viewer) after there were so many complaints about this in the past??!

Also, I have posted this thread a month ago! why there hasn't been any progress since? new drivers?!

Please fix it already. If you found the cure for the previous Celeron based NUC to work with VNC headless why can't you do it for this one as well?

Look at the attached image

TightVNC screenshot NUC Celeron 3050 - not workable cant use mouse & keyboard - only shows the desktop and thats that.png

1 2 Previous Next