5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 1:07 PM by mikec_intel

"Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" almost everytime I play certain games. Used to be Video_TDR_failure igdkmd64.sys BSOD.*Edit; Workaround found*

rkusma13

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

When trying to run certain games, certain games in full screen, or just at random points in certain games, this error occurs. For example, trying to run Final Fantasy 7 steam edition in full screen is a 100% failure rate after going past the title screen to the file selection screen. This used to be a Video_TDR_failure igdkmd64.sys

forcing my computer to restart, but ever since I updated my graphics driver to version 15.40.7.4279, it has been this other error that just locks up the game.

100% failure rate when trying to start The Last Remnant, regardless of full screen or windowed mode.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" pops up in the corner a few times until finally

"Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware." appears and I have to use task manager to end the program. (Screenshot of the first message is attached. Why does it say Windows 8r? I don't understand)

Games where this error occurs seemingly at random is Never Alone and Castle Crashers.

Never Alone will crash 8/10 times I play it, but at completely different times.

Castle Crashers has done it once, but I have no idea how to replicate the issue.

Super Meat Boy has also had this issue.

Some video players have also given me this error.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Hewlett-Packard, HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC, Product number: C8U17AV

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue.

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP (DxDiag attached)

How much memory [RAM] in the system.

8192 MB (DxDiag attached)

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

N/A

Hardware Stepping.

(HardwareIDs Attached)

Software (SW)

Operating System version.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (DxDiag attached)

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Unable to find. Attached screenshot of the Information page.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors.

Intel HD Graphics 4600  (DxDiag attached)

SW/Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Final Fantasy 7, The Last Remnant, Castle Crashers (cannot pinpoint), Never Alone (cannot pinpoint)

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended.

(DxDiag attached)

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display.

(DxDiag attached)

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.

A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Run Final Fantasy 7 in full screen mode (attached screen shot)

2. Progress past title screen, into File select screen

3. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

4. Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

or

1. Run The Last Remnant

2. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

3. Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

This is the only way I can give steps to replicate the issue. There are other games that will cause the computer to give that error as well, but at different times. This is the consistent way to show the error.

Things I have tried; reinstalling the games that are giving me trouble since the windows 10 upgrade, uninstalling my graphics driver, then installing the most current graphics driver compatible, uninstalling then reinstalling the driver that HP offers for this computer (an older version of the most current graphics driver), and by the suggestion of one of the people I have contacted through support, reinstalling the "Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver" and the "Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver."

*Workaround found; Turn off Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing in the 3D menu of the Intel HD Graphics panel. This is said to lower FPS unfortunately. Better than not playing the game at all I suppose.*