Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

"Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" almost everytime I play certain games. Used to be Video_TDR_failure igdkmd64.sys BSOD.*Edit; Workaround found*

RKusm
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue AND 'does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?' If you can offer a % rate please do.

When trying to run certain games, certain games in full screen, or just at random points in certain games, this error occurs. For example, trying to run Final Fantasy 7 steam edition in full screen is a 100% failure rate after going past the title screen to the file selection screen. This used to be a Video_TDR_failure igdkmd64.sys

forcing my computer to restart, but ever since I updated my graphics driver to version 15.40.7.4279, it has been this other error that just locks up the game.

100% failure rate when trying to start The Last Remnant, regardless of full screen or windowed mode.

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" pops up in the corner a few times until finally

"Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware." appears and I have to use task manager to end the program. (Screenshot of the first message is attached. Why does it say Windows 8r? I don't understand)

Games where this error occurs seemingly at random is Never Alone and Castle Crashers.

Never Alone will crash 8/10 times I play it, but at completely different times.

Castle Crashers has done it once, but I have no idea how to replicate the issue.

Super Meat Boy has also had this issue.

Some video players have also given me this error.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Hewlett-Packard, HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC, Product number: C8U17AV

Hybrid or switchable graphics system? ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue.

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in) 

LFP (DxDiag attached)

How much memory [RAM] in the system.

8192 MB (DxDiag attached)

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

<p align="center" style="tex...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the workaround.

Does this issue still happen with driver version 4300?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25489/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

Allan.

0 Kudos
RKusm
Novice

Yes, this still happens with the new version.

There is one thing I had noticed that is new when playing around with it though. When I play Final Fantasy VII in full screen mode with Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing still turned on, I am able to get it to work only when I let the game progress to a certain part of the opening cinematic before interrupting it to go the the file select screen. This did not happen before the updated driver, I used to be completely unable to get the game to work with Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing turned on, edit: (And before the upgrade to windows 10, I could play the game with no issue no matter what was turned on). So now I am able to get Final Fantasy VII to play with it on if I let the game play the opening cinematic. The game does not work if I interrupt the opening immediately to get to file select.

There has been no change with The Last Remnant while trying to use Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing. I am unable to get the game to run at all with it on. I have no opportunity to do anything about it, it immediately freezes showing the display driver has stopped responding message the moment the game is turned on.

The workaround to turn off Conservative Morphological Anti-Aliasing still solves all of these crashes, allowing me to play each game without issue.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
0 Kudos
RKusm
Novice

Yes, I have that version. The last message I made was after installing that driver as Allan had asked. I installed the driver and then tried everything again. "Yes this still happens with the new version" referred to the most up to date driver.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi rkusma13,

Intel® graphics department has not tested your version of Final Fantasy yet. The game requirements might not meet the specifications of Intel® HD graphics 4600; I suggest you to verify if you are using the latest motherboard BIOS version and latest chipset driver.

The full list of compatible games and recommending settings are below:

https://gameplay.intel.com/HardwareGames/75117/Intel-Core-i7-4700MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-40-GHz/ Hardware Games

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos