5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 10:46 AM by Amy_Intel

RAM for DP43BF mainboard

nofish

Hi all, new to this forum...

I have an Intel DP43BF mainboard running a Q9550 CPU.

I bought it second hand with 2 x 2 GB RAM installed running in Dual-channel.
      The RAM says "TW3X4G1333C9A" (Corsair)

A few days ago I wanted to add another 4 GB and bought 2 x 2 GB via ebay.
      These say "CMX2GX3M1A1333C9" (also Corsair).

Both are not recognized.
      So unless I got sold 2 broken ones (which I don't like to assume), is there anything different with these which would prevent them to work ? (to me both seem DDR3 1333 MHz, so I'm stumped, but I don't have very much knowledge about this)

Could it be a problem with high vs. low density ?

But I see nothing about it on the Corsair site for the respective memories.

XMS3 — 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (TW3X4G1333C9

XMS3 — 2GB (1x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMX2GX3M1A1333C9)

What do  I have to check for when bying again to make sure the memory is working with my board ?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: RAM for DP43BF mainboard
          Amy_Intel

Hello nofish,

In this case it seems to be limitation issue, checking all the components you mention I noticed that the Intel® Desktop Board DP43BF that you have comes integrated with the Intel® P43 Express Chipset (Intel® 82P43 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub) ARK | Intel® P43 Express Chipset (Intel® 82P43 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub) that only supports DDR3 800/1066 and DDR2 667/800. This chipset as you tested can run memory modules at 1333MHz but whenever you add 3 or more memory modules it stops working.

If you planning to buy more memory sticks take into consideration that the chipset supports DDR3 800/1066 or DDR2 667/800, so what you can do is to buy 4 memory modules according to what the chipset supports or to stay with the 2 memory modules of 1333MHz.

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: RAM for DP43BF mainboard
            N.Scott.Pearson

If you just inserted the two new DIMMs into the two available sockets, you may have a mismatch that will not work. Try putting the original two DIMMs in the connectors for one channel and the two new DIMMs in the connectors for the other channel.

Hope this helps!

...S

• 3. Re: RAM for DP43BF mainboard
              nofish

Amy_Intel wrote:

This chipset as you tested can run memory modules at 1333MHz but whenever you add 3 or more memory modules it stops working.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for not mentioning this previously but I also tried running the new modules (CMX2GX3M1A1333C9) without the other ones, didn't work.

So I'm wondering what else could play into account here that these don't work (assuming they aren't broken) ?

• 4. Re: RAM for DP43BF mainboard
                nofish

N.Scott.Pearson wrote:

If you just inserted the two new DIMMs into the two available sockets, you may have a mismatch that will not work. Try putting the original two DIMMs in the connectors for one channel and the two new DIMMs in the connectors for the other channel.

Hope this helps!

...S

Thanks, but I've tried every possible combination (also without the old DIMM's as stated above), didn't work.

• 5. Re: RAM for DP43BF mainboard
                  Amy_Intel

Since you're running a memory out the specification that could be a expected behavior. My recommendation will be to get memory modules under the specifications so that way your system can run properly.

Regards,

Amy.