1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 9:02 PM by venik212

NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!

iamreal2

I have just got 2 latest i5 NUC. NUC5i5RYK (the slim version) and NUC5i5RYK (the normal height version that supports 2.5" HDD).

The RYK's CIR module seems to be problematic. When installing official driver from Intel download page, it always says 'Can't find device!!' - Device Manager says the CIR device's HardwareID is ACPI\PNP0530. However the NUC5i5RYH (the thicker version) does not have this issue - Device Manager says the CIR device's HardwareID is ACPI\NTN0530.

The RYK was manufactured in May 15 whereas the RYH was manufactured on 11 Aug 15. The boards are supposed to be exactly the same. Both shipped with BIOS 0246.

I have Samsung SM951 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD and 16GB of Kingston RAM in it.

Here's what has happend so far:

1. Out of the box BIOS 0246. Installed Windows 7 with SP1 x64 from external DVD - all fine.

2. Initially I installed the official Nuvoton SIO CIR driver fine (SIO_CIR_win7_20120801_2.7.1005.exe from Intel download) - didn't notice anything wrong. This means it ONCE worked.

3. After I pretty much installed all drivers I went to update the BIOS to the latest 0350

4. Then my system won't boot. Researched a bit and realized that the new BIOS may not support PCIe SSD. So I flashed BIOS back to 0246.

5. From here I saw the 'Unknown Device' in Device Manager.

6. Tried uninstalling or running the CIR installer again, it wouldn't install at all saying that "Can't find CIR device!!"

7. I checked the Hardware ID of the "Unknown Device" which says ACPI\PNP0530

8. Tried reinstalling fresh system (W7x64), tried changing to Samsung 850 EVO 256GB M.2 SSD (fresh installation), tried updating BIOS to 0247, 0249, 0348, 0350 (the 03xx BIOS won't boot M.2 drives) - no good.

9. Tried installing Windows 10 x64 - direct to the new Windows 10 bluescreen so gave up.

I noticed the difference of PNP0530 vs NTN0530. NTN should be referring to NuvoToN while PNP probably just means it doesn't know the manufacture code. So it seems like my CIR is somehow disabled as per your description but it is clearly enabled in BIOS. Tried disable/enable again - no luck. Tried resuming from Sleep (S3) as per described in this post - NUC5i3RY*: Bug in BIOS Version RYBDWi35.86A.0249.2015.0529.1640 - but it won't be re-enabled like that post indicated (still 'PNP0530').

So I am wondering if the FIRST upgrade to 0350 has caused the CIR to be disabled forever even when BIOS setting says it is enabled???

Will try putting in normal SSD using the RYH's cable and install Windows 10 under BIOS 0350 tomorrow - let's see if the CIR can be 're-enabled' somehow.

Pretty bad experience - FRUSTRATING - especially when this is flagship product from Intel...

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
          iamreal2

Update:

I put in an Intel SSD 530 120GB and installed Win7 with SP1 x64 again with BIOS 0350. This time it worked fine. Downgraded to 0249 and boot again, the CIR device disappeared. Upgraded back to 0350, CIR back again.

So it seems like 0249 and below won't give me the CIR on this box but 0350 won't boot my beautiful SM951 PCIe M.2 SSD... Hope there's a fix on BIOS that supports PCIe SSD booting on 0350...

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
            byrdchem

I have the SM951 (256 GB) installed in the M.2 slot of my NUC5i7RYH and it boots fine into Windows 10 Pro 64 using BIOS version 0348.  (I haven't tried 0350.)  Initially, I tried the BIOS that shipped with the NUC (0249) and got no video. 

The SM951 is a real snappy performer.  Keep troubleshooting...it's worth the effort. 

L.B.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
              iamreal2

Thanks L.B. What is the manufacture date of your board? I'm thinking that there is actually some difference in hardware for batches. I'll try SM951 on my i5RYH (which was manufactured less than 3 weeks ago) on BIOS 0350 - I think it would work if yours is also recently manufactured.

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                byrdchem

According to the label on the box, date of manufacture = 24 April, 2015 (bought from Amazon).

-Larry

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                  iamreal2

Thanks Larry - it is even older than my RYK... I might try 348 on my board tonight...

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                    iamreal2

I have been talking to Intel's support consultant but haven't received anything worthwhile. I have done some further tests over the weekend and am posting my results here (it's my reply email to the support guy).

===============================================================================

I have managed to make slipstreamed Windows 7 x64 installation USB which supports UEFI boot. So I was able to install Windows 7 x64 using this USB on the i5RYK (fimeware 0350) to UEFI boot mode. It all went well and the CIR device is correctly recognized. Here are some details:

My hardware:

• Intel NUC5i5RYK x 1 (slim version) - manufacture date May 2015
                    • Intel NUC5i5RYH x 1 (normal height version) - manufacture date Aug 2015
                    • Kingston DDR3L SO-DIMM 8GB x 4 (2 in each NUC)
                    • Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe 256GB M.2 SSD x 1
                    • Samsung 850 EVO 256GB M.2 SATA SSD x 1

WITH Intel NUC5i5RYK x 1 (slim version -  May 2015) + SM951 M.2 PCIe (or 850 EVO M.2 SATA) on Firmware 0350:

Legacy BIOS boot does NOT work. UEFI boot works fine. CIR device works fine.

WITH Intel NUC5i5RYK x 1 (slim version -  May 2015) + SM951 M.2 PCIe (or 850 EVO M.2 SATA) on Firmware 0246-0249:

Legacy BIOS boot does work. UEFI boot works too. CIR device NOT detected by Windows 7 or 10 x64.

WITH Intel NUC5i5RYK x 1 (slim version -  May 2015) + normal SATA SSD (Intel 535 120GB) on Firmware 0350::

Legacy BIOS boot does work. UEFI boot works too. CIR device works fine.

WITH Intel NUC5i5RYK x 1 (slim version -  May 2015) + normal SATA SSD (Intel 535 120GB) on Firmware 0246-0249::

Legacy BIOS boot does work. UEFI boot works too. CIR device NOT detected by Windows 7 or 10 x64.

WITH Intel NUC5i5RYH x 1 (normal height version - Aug 2015)

All firmware versions from 0246 supports both legacy BIOS boot and UEFI boot from M.2 slot devices and CIR device works fine on all firmware versions.

The above results are summarized in the following table:

So it looks on this particular unit of NUC5i5RYH, Firmware version 0246-0249 makes CIR fail to be detected by Windows system. While firmware 0350 supports CIR hardware without a problem. However, Firmware version 0350 does NOT support legacy BIOS boot from any M.2 devices (in my case SM951 PCIe and 850EVO M.2) while 0246-0249 does support legacy BIOS boot from M.2 slot. Catch-22. None of such problems exists on the other unit of NUC5i5RYK.

I have documented every tests that I have done above and can't say I am not surprised seeing the results. They are supposed to be exactly the same board.

I hope this could be of some value to other users.

Thanks,

Jason

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                      philly4

Jason,

Thanks for the info.  I've had the same issues with the CIR with my 5i5ryk.  I didn't do as extensive troubleshooting, I did try several bios versions and OS versions etc.  Intel seems to have a lot of bugs with these machines.  It's poor.  You'd expect better quality control.

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                        iamreal2

Thank Phil. I agree with you. The support guys are quite helpful. They are organising a replacement at the moment. You may want to get in touch with them.

8-09-2015 6-16-20 PM.png

• 9. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                          Sipple

Hi Jason

I can confirm PRECISELY the same issue on my NUC5I5RYH, manufactured 10FEB2015.

Worked well with BIOS 246,  my SM951 and CIR, too, until I updated to 350 yesterday. System didn't boot from SM951 anymore. Flashed ALL BIOS versions from 246 to 350.

Same results as in your case.

If I got you right, you finally managed to get 350 booting from M.2 with "UEFI BOOT" and CIR up and running. I thought I tried it all, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can you share the exact settings in the 350 BIOS to enable booting from the SM951 again? What exactly do I have to switch on/off there? The SM951 is shown in the BIOS, but not as a UEFI boot device.

Thanks, Martin

• 10. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                            iamreal2

Hi Martin,

To install Windows 7 (it has to be x64) with UEFI boot, you'll need to make a USB bootable installation media yourself. A simple guide can be found here:

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_Windows_UEFI_Boot-Stick_in_Windows

I used an external USB harddrive to do this so it's faster. Similar to that guide but I formatted it to NTFS. Make sure you have a Windows 7 x64 only ISO. Some MSDN discs have both x86 and x64 in one and may be problematic to boot up.

Otherwise you can try Windows 10 x64 whose installation media can directly do UEFI boot.

Cheers, Jason

• 11. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                              Cesar Badilla

Hello iamreal2,

After doing the clean installation of the OS on your NUC did you install the Nuvoton* Consumer Infrared (CIR) Driver for Intel® NUC from Intel® Download Center?

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 12. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                                iamreal2

Hi Caesar,

Yes, I did. Driver is directly from Intel Download Center.

Cheers

Jason

• 13. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                                  Cesar Badilla

Hello Jason,

Please confirm if issue is still ongoing and let me know the current version of the BIOS and Operating System you are currently running on your Intel® NUC5i5RYK.

Regards,

Caesar B.

• 14. Re: NUC5i5RYK CIR - Can't find device!!
                                    iamreal2

Hi Caesar,

I've emailed Intel customer support consultant who has helped arranging a replacement unit which does not have the above issue. The replacement unit was manufactured in April 2015 and works with my M.2 SSD's with both Legacy MBR boot and UEFI boot on both firmware 0246 and 0350 (the latest).

Cheers

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next