4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 3:00 PM by ivanu_intel

RAID 1 Array shows as "Disabled" in Option ROM, after each cold boot.

El_Marco

RAID 1 Array shows as "Disabled" in Option ROM, after each cold boot and Windows 10 fails to boot.

If i press CTRL-I and go into the Option ROM the two disks and their SSD cache all show as green and work fine.

Windows 10 runs with no problems at all and I have no other issues with the machine, now that it is stable my Windows 10 machine works brilliantly.

The RAID 1 with SSD Cache is my D: with a SSD non-RAID disk being my C:.

The only unique setting which could be important I can think of is my C:\Users is a symbolic link to D:\Users.

This fault was not apparent on Windows 7 before the upgrade.

Also this is a fresh Install of Win10.

Intel System Report attached.

Any help would be apreciated.

Regards, Marc.

• 1. Re: RAID 1 Array shows as "Disabled" in Option ROM, after each cold boot.
          El_Marco

Some pics of my PC booting.

First is Option ROM

IMG_1940.JPG

And after I press CTRL-I

IMG_1941.JPG

Note how the SSD cache is missing from the first picture but apparent on the second? might be important.

• 2. Re: RAID 1 Array shows as "Disabled" in Option ROM, after each cold boot.
            ivanu_intel

In order to remove the disabled status on the RAID array you can go to the “Acceleration Options” in Ctrl+I and choose to remove acceleration by pressing ‘r’.   This will remove acceleration and the disabled state. You can also reset the Cache Disk to non-raid using the “reset disk to non-Raid” in Ctrl+I as well.  Then you can reboot to Windows and re-enable Smart Response Technology in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Software.  Note that you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS after resetting the Cache Disk.

I recommend backing up your information in case the problem persists and your volumes fails

You can also download the latest Intel® Rapid Storage Technology at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

Please let me know the behavior of the system after those troubleshooting steps

• 3. Re: RAID 1 Array shows as "Disabled" in Option ROM, after each cold boot.
              El_Marco

Thanks for the reply Ivanu

The first point is mute as when I go into the RAID Option ROM (CTRL-I) the array automatically fixes itself (see above picture)

My RAID software version was 14.5... so I updated to 14.6.....

The problem did not go away so I removed the cache from the array and made the 60GB disk a normal disk.

The RAID 1 is now functional every boot but the cache disk is still not visible. It then appears when I go into the RAID Option ROM. It also appears if I reboot the PC several times but do not go into the RAID Option ROM.

It looks like just this disk, the Vertex 2 SSD in ID 1, takes a long while to initialise.

I have checked all disks in a disk checker program and checked SMART status etc; there are no problems at all.

It looks like the problem is now "How can I keep the SSD cache visible on boot"

I have not tried using a different port, cables etc. for the SSD as the computer is quite heavily plumbed in and would take a few hours to do, I will try that when I next have some time off work. Also please note that these problems only started when I “upgraded” to Windows 10, on Windows 7 I had no problems at all.

Any other ideas?

• 4. Re: RAID 1 Array shows as "Disabled" in Option ROM, after each cold boot.
                ivanu_intel

Since your RAID 1 is working fine, but your SSD cache is not visible on boot anymore after upgrading to Windows 10 what I can recommend is to do a firmware update on your SSD.

You will need to contact your SSD manufacturer to get help to do a firmware update or if your SSD is an Intel® SSD you can get support to do firmware update here:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport