Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Core-M 5Y10C GPU speed not throttling down.

DNado
Beginner

I would need some help in diagnosing an issue I'm noticing with my new Asus T300CHI (4gb, 1080p, Core M 5y10c). The GPU seems to be stuck at 800MHz all the time, regardless if the power plan is at Balanced or Powersave, either in the windows power plans or using the Intel Display driver app, and whether the unit is charging or not. This will of course affect battery life when unplugged...

You can verify this using GPU-Z. The GPU stays pegged at 800MHz when it should be clocking down to 300Mhz during periods of low activity.

I have tried uninstalling the GPU driver, which Windows 10 installs a generic driver. With that driver, GPU-z shows the GPU clock varying between 300MHz and 800MHz like it should. Once you reinstall the Win10 Intel driver, the GPU once again gets pegged at 800MHz.

Also tried a fresh Win10 install via USB, wiping the whole drive. The issue persists.

Can anyone help me out and install GPU-Z to confirm their GPU clock speed to see if their unit exhibits the same behaviour?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DNado
Beginner

gpu-z screen snip...

0 Kudos
DNado
Beginner

anyone? Forum mod?

0 Kudos
DNado
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

I have the latest BIOS. # 206, the bios settings are very limited. Nothing other than secure boot options and enabling VTx VTd. I had already installed the latest Iris Pro drivers that just came out. The issue still persists. I also verified the GPU speed using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, just in case GPU-z wasn't reporting it correctly. The only time I saw the GPU speed reduce is when playing an x264 video with the Win10 video player and also MPC video player.

I have also logged a ticket with Asus, but their response was just a standard "reinstall windows 8.1" response that was barely English...

I'm really at a loss trying to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
Darwin_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Dodo99x,

The current GPU speed is auto-managed and based on video workload, CPU usage and power consumption, unless the BIOS of this computer has an option in which you can set manually the Maximum Dynamic Frequency. It looks like when the actual Intel driver is active the speed is raised to the max. This could be due to a driver bug or a hardware failure.

So far we have not received similar reports when using driver version 15.40.7.4279 or older versions.

Now, it is important to consider that Intel® Core™ M Processors were made as OEM units to be present in third party Brand systems. Most likely the brand (system manufacturer) provides proprietary drivers to work with the product in question, reason why we always recommend customers to stick with drivers and software offered by the computer manufacturer.

If you already tried drivers from Asus having the same results I am afraid that this could a hardware failure.

The only recommendation left is to check in the BIOS for any option that has to do with video management that eventually could be triggering the problem. Also, if you see any options for Intel® Enhanced Speed Stepping or Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, make sure they are enabled.

If this doesn't help you better contact ASUS for warranty service.

0 Kudos
DNado
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

The BIOS does not have any options relating to the GPU. Asus doesn't provide any Win10 video drivers either. I may try to roll back the BIOS to an earlier version to see if the problem persists.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Were you able to roll back to an earlier driver version?

As darwinb_intel mentioned, the speed of the graphics controller depends on the BIOS and the video BIOS dynamically.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMaks4
Beginner

I have exactly the same behavior on Acer Aspire Switch 12 (4GB, Core M-5Y10C, WIN 8.1 64bit). GPU frequency stays at 800MHz most of the time according to GPU-Z. Despite that GPU Power and GPU Load indicators shows 0.0W / 0% values, so I wonder if frequency should be that high for some reason or is it abnormal situation?

Driver version is 10.18.14.4029 (Installed by manufacturer, but at the same time Acer website says it's the latest version for this model).

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please test the latest video drivers for your Intel® HD Graphics 5300:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMaks4
Beginner

No changes with new drivers so far. Also, I tried to use HWiNFO to see if it shows different values, but core clock rate stays at 800MHz there too.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology (EIST) of the processor should lower processor frequency to save power. You may need to check for BIOS updates or contact your computer manufacturer for additional information about this issue.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMaks4
Beginner

Is power saving the only reason to lower GPU frequency? As i can see, GPU-Z shows that GPU Power is 0.0 W when idle even at 800MHz. So, could it be a GPU-Z monitoring issue?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Yes, this might be an issue with the monitoring software.

Please try running the Intel(R) processor diagnostic tool, this will test the graphics portion of the processor.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit- Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (64-bit)

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMaks4
Beginner
0 Kudos