1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 5:11 AM by Taimoor

Galileo Heat Issues?

Taimoor

Hello Guys,

I just received a small batch of Galileo Gen2 boards. There are two problems that I am facing:

1. The Galileo devices heat up a lot (I have an Edison placed next to it that doesn't heat up at all).
      2. The USB Serial port on the Galileo doesn't give me the linux prompt.
        1. I managed to access this prompt via SSH but not through USB. Isn't there a way to get the linux prompt over the USB channel? (btw, I managed to send some random strings over CDC back to the PC using an Arduino Sketch).
        2. I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. This has magically disappeared.

I would appreciate a quick response.

I would be grateful if someone from Intel can address the heating issue part as I am considering using the X1000 (the ones which have Industrial range) in an Industrial product.

Thank you very much

T

• 1. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
          Intel_Peter

Hello Taimor,

Well, the Galileo in fact does heat up quite a bit. In comparison to an Edison, it heats up a lot more. However according to ARK | Intel® Quark™ SoC X1000 (16K Cache, 400 MHz), as long as the processor is between the range of 0°C to 70°C it is on its normal range of operation. Nevertheless if you notice that the Galileo is heating up above this range then you should consider using a heatsink. By the way, you can check your board's temperature with the command: /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone3/temp.

Regarding your second question, the Galileo's Linux terminal was not designed to be accessed through USB, however there's a workaround to do it. You can find more info about it in V. Anyhow, you can access the Galileo's internal Linux with a serial cable as described in Intel® Galileo Boards and Kits — How to Connect the Intel Galileo Board to Linux*.

I hope I've cleared your doubts, let me know if I missed anything.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
            CHerbst

Peter

I was curious about checking my board's temperature. Using the command I get a permission denied (also mine is thermal_zone0 and not thermal_zone3 as zone three is not a directory on my board).  So I just went straight to the file and used the cat command on temp.  All I got was 7800.  Though I do suspect this may be 78.00 degrees Celsius, I felt I should clarify as this would mean my boards running more than just a little hot.

Thanks,

CHerbst

P.S. I know it should be running a bit hot, just I'm curious if I need to improve the air circulation around the board.

• 3. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
              Galilayo

My results were somewhat different. The galileo is idling. I cannot touch the top of the quark for more than 5 seconds.

It seems to run quite hot even when just idling.

Here's what I see.

root@galileo:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# ls -l

total 0

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 mode

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 passive

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 policy

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    0 Sep 11 13:24 power

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 Sep 11 13:24 subsystem -> ../../../../class/thermal

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 temp

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 trip_point_0_temp

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 trip_point_0_type

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 trip_point_1_temp

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 trip_point_1_type

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Sep 11 13:24 type

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Jan  1  2001 uevent

root@galileo:/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0# cat temp

63000    <---------- is this 63 degrees C ?

• 4. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                CHerbst

Think that may be 63 degrees C.  Mine was running from around 65 to 75, and the cycle of heating and cooling lined up with that of the AC in my office.  When the AC turned on the temp would drop, when the AC turned off the temp went up.  I stuffed my Galileo in a box with no air flow and it went up to 80.  And being in C makes the most sense and the value seems about right.

• 5. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                  Taimoor

How do you know its idling? Maybe that's caused by something else?

• 6. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                    Galilayo

I've been flashing...reflashing - many times I have had nothing but a basic boot happening.

I can't even get my gen 2 up to date with the latest software.

I haven't installed a thing nor done anything but flash 2 LEDs.

It's doing as little as it ever could.

• 7. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                      Galilayo

That makes sense. I'll hit the quark with some freon freeze mist and see how it drops.

Too bad there isn't an example or explanation that is crisp and clear.

Anyone know of a good book that gets into the guts - complete with lots of nitty gritty?

• 8. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                        BenKissBox

Hi Taimoor,

here are my two cents about the Galileo heating problems. I have a few of them here (both Gen 1 and Gen 2), and they all get warm (I even started a discussion in the community in order to find a compatible heatsink for the Quark)

Mine are running around 63°C with an empty sketch, but do not forget that the Galileo never go idle (at least the "idle concept" you can find with other Arduinos), because the Linux kernel is always running. It takes a few CPU power to run, but it's not negligible at all.

We have applications here pushing the Quark very far (applications using multiple Linux threads, ALSA and networking) and they become extremely hot (that's why I looked for an heatsink)

Technically, the X1000 is designed to run within "commercial range" temps (0 to 70°C), but this is the "surrounding" temp, the real limit being the temperature of the die. Normally, it shall be kept around 100°C max (I have to check on the X1000 datasheet to be sure, but most processors are around this limit).

The value you get by reading the /temp file in the thermal directory is the chip temperature (so yes, you can easily burn your fingers while the chip is still feeling good - human skin can not support more than 50°C for a continuous touch)

But honnestly, I do not like so much having warm chips in my designs, and I am looking now to help a little the X1000 to cool by installing a heatsink (still trying to find how to attach one on the Galileo)

Benoit

• 9. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                          Galileo_BR

Hello, I am new in the community, I bought a Galileo plate Gen2 some time, and the processor is really hot ! So I even installed a small sink that was used in an old motherboard chipset. The temperature dropped from 75 ° to 55 ° even mounted in a case, I bought in AliExpress.

I wonder if there is a way to put pictures here. (sorry for the English, I'm from Brazil.)

• 10. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                            Galileo_BR

IMG_20151217_201721880.jpgIMG_20151217_201816549.jpg

I isolated parts that have not come into contact with the tablet, added thermal paste, applied epoxy glue around under the sink base (Araldite in Brazil)

I made sure that the alignment of the x1000 was correct. The only problem I can never remove it, at the risk of permanently damaging the Galileo.

TemperaturaQuarkX1000WhiteSink.png

Up follows a print of working temperature with the sink.

Detail is just running algorithm for temperature display, below.

char temp_raw[6];

int temp;

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200);

}

void loop() {

temp = getQuarkTemp();

Serial.print("The CPU temperature is ");

Serial.print(temp);

Serial.println(" degrees celcius.");

delay(1000);

}

int getQuarkTemp(){

FILE *fp;

fp = fopen("/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp", "r");

fgets(temp_raw, 5, fp);

fclose(fp);

int temp = atoi(temp_raw);

temp /= 100;

return temp; 

}

• 11. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                              BenKissBox

Good work, Galileo_BR

right now, I am experimenting with a slightly different way. I bought thermal pads at Digikey (if somebody is interested, I can give the reference).
                              My Galileo is mounting on a "shield motherboard" for my project (the shield is in fact bigger than the Galileo itself), upside down. I have installed a small heatsink on this board, and the screws holding the Galileo are also ensuring a correct pressure on the thermal pad for the heat transfer to the heatsink.

The temperature is now around 57°C even when the whole setup is in the enclosure. I will try to make some nice pictures for here (sorry, they are hard to make, because the Galileo board hides what I have done

Benoit

• 12. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                                Taimoor

Damage to the galileo IC itself isn't the problem. I'm not too bothered now because of my Galileos heating up to 70°C.

I just think for a device that just idles for most of its life (LED blink, sensing), temperatures should be lower (comfortable to the touch). Having said that, I have used the AM335x (e.g. on the BBB*) and it does not get as hot. For the layman, this is what he looks at.

It would be interesting to know which peripherals cause power consumption to go so high.

-- Taimoor

* The Beaglebone was running SYS/BIOS and so that might have been a cause of lower temps.

• 13. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                                  FGT

Hi Taimoor,

About

Damage to the galileo IC itself isn't the problem. I'm not too bothered now because of my Galileos heating up to 70°C.

I just think for a device that just idles for most of its life (LED blink, sensing), temperatures should be lower (comfortable to the touch).

It would be interesting to know which peripherals cause power consumption to go so high.

As far as I know,

a) "Galileo heat" should be in fact "Galileo processor (Quark) heat"

b) Peripherals do not cause Galileo processor power consumption (for extra-heating, let's say)

c) Galileo doesn't manage the processor speed to such things as "idling" while running simple tasks (LED blink, sensing), or at least it is what I understand from

"Simple to program: single thread, single core, constant speed" at Intel® Galileo Gen 2 Development Board, i.e. the Quark will run at 400 MHz no matter what it has something to do (for the task you need to carry out) or not.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 14. Re: Galileo Heat Issues?
                                    Taimoor

Hello Fernando,

I agree of course with all your points and I wasn't aiming to be so correct in this post either.

- I'm not 100% sure but I thought the Ethernet port causes some power drain.

"c)" is very interesting. I will read through the link and come back after some time.

Thanks for a great discussion.

1 2 Previous Next