cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the problem with the v1.3 flashing tool?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just read this, apparently Alan Frost from Intel had some comments, and implied that the issue has nothing to do with the firmware, and was actually caused by the flashing tool. Can we get some confirmation?

Source: http://icrontic.com/news/intel-ids-firmware-bug-in-bricked-x25-m-g2-ssds-pledges-fix http://icrontic.com/news/intel-ids-firmware-bug-in-bricked-x25-m-g2-ssds-pledges-fix

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Impossible for the problem to be the flash tool. If it is, then i would be highly surprised. If you read the original statement, Intel says they can recreate the problem, but YET they still want users to send them their "bricked" drives. The flashtool is run under FREEDOS which means that if it is the flash tool, then problem should effect non-windows as well as windows. I believe it is a OS, chipset, and firmware issue. There is no other way to explain it.

Now, i'm pretty sure the engineers did not write the message to be disseminated to world. It was probably some PR guy and I bet when the engineers read the message they probably said "What the heck, that's not what i told them." I read the message and it contradicts itself. In one breath it says there is a problem, then in the next line or two it says their is no problem. Sounds like to me they covered both basis... and the bottom line is they still don't have a good clue as to why some drives bricked and others didn't. Re-creating the problem is not the issue because one can easily re-create just from the other users experiences. The issue is what causes the problem and the message they sent implies that they can re-create the problem, but they still don't know the cause.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think the message you are talking about is the one posted by Jim at the top of the discussion page? I don't think this is the one the article is talking about.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, i'm not talking about the message at the top of the discussions. I'm referring to Alan's post:/thread/8002?tstart=0 Update from Intel's NAND Solutions Group

This is what the article is referring too.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hmmm yes, well that is confusing. I wonder how Icrontic thought that implied the problem is with the tool... I hadn't seen the original message until just now. Oh well, doesn't matter much, still need to wait it out.