10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2015 10:27 AM by spoiledmilk

help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz

spoiledmilk

Hi,

I purchased the i7 nuc on 24 Aug.  I got it yesterday 27 Aug.

Its painfully slow.  Even dragging windows is slow.  When surfing i cant surf with more than 3 tabs opened.

I've installed all the drivers and even updated the bios but its still slow.

I believe i have a faulty unit, unfortunately i bought the nuc from amazon and im based in singapore.

Any one experienced the same thing? perhaps there's a fix

hwm.PNG

cpuz.PNG

• 1. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
          N.Scott.Pearson

Not thermal throttling, which would have been my first guess. Hhmmm. I wonder if the Clock Speed limit is improperly set in BIOS. Try resetting the BIOS configuration to factory defaults and see if this alleviates the problem...

...Scott

• 2. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
            spoiledmilk

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I have resetted the bios to default but its still very slow. Im using win 10 thats not yet activated. Can the os be the issue? My geekbench 3 score is 384! :(

• 3. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
              byrdchem

Hello,

I have the exact same NUC, same OS (Win 10 Pro 64 bit) on same Samsung SSD.  I am not seeing the problems you describe.  I would be suspicious of the graphics driver.  Dragging windows should be fluid.  If you're using the default Windows driver, it will be very sluggish.  I would recommend the following Intel utilities:

Intel Driver Update Utility: Intel® Download Center

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (ETU): Intel® Download Center

Let the update utility scan your box to see if you're up to date on all your drivers, especially graphics driver and BIOS.  I find that Windows update pushes drivers that are different from the latest ones available on Intel's download center.

Then launch the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and look carefully at the screen report.  In particular, look at driver version (last four digits).  Is it .4256?  Verify that the cpu is reporting 2 physical CPU cores, 4 logical CPU cores.  Look at Processor Frequency in the lower left corner in red.  At idle, it's 0.8 - 0.9 GHz.  As you move other windows around quickly, it should increase upward.  If you keep Intel ETU open during Geekbench, you should see Processor frequency spike as high as 3.4 GHz, CPU  utilization can reach 90-100%, and CPU temperature can reach into lower 70s.  Check to make sure all your memory is being recognized.  (BTW, how much RAM do you have installed?)  Also, check task manager (ctrl-alt-del)>task manager>performance>CPU.  See if you see 2 cores, 4 logical processors.  If not, it's possible hyperthreading has been turned off in the BIOS.  But the default settings should have it turned on.

When all is working correctly, you should see your single core Geekbench 3 score over 3000 and double core over 7000 (32 bit).  The 64 bit scores will be slightly higher.

If your NUC truly turns out to be defective, Amazon is very good about handling returns/exchange replacements.

Good luck,

Larry   

• 4. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                spoiledmilk

Thanks for chiming in Larry.

I dont mind sending the unit back to Amazon and get a replacement if i absolutely have to.  However i want to make sure that the issue is not because of some wrong setting.

I'm using a 16gb kingston memory.

Anyways, I installed ubuntu and i ran the ff commands...

less /proc/cpuinfo

vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
                cpu family  : 6
                model       : 61
                model name  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5557U CPU @ 3.10GHz
                stepping    : 4
                microcode   : 0x21
                cpu MHz     : 499.996
                cache size  : 4096 KB

lshw

*-cpu

product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5557U CPU @ 3.10GHz

vendor: Intel Corp.

physical id: 1

bus info: cpu@0

size: 499MHz

capacity: 3100MHz

width: 64 bits

Regards,

Ricky

• 5. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                  spoiledmilk

Could anyone post their cpu mhz using cpu-z or unix command line.

Ijust want to confirm that i have a faulty unit.

• 6. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                    byrdchem

Ricky,

I just installed CPU-Z (v 1.73.0, 64 bit).  My core speed at idle is 798 MHz.  As I open browser windows and move them around on the desktop, I can watch the Core Speed move all around, often jumping over 3000 MHz.  This is normal behavior for an Intel CPU with SpeedStep enabled.  One difference I noted in my CPU window vs your screen shot was the Multiplier.  Mine is showing multiplier X 8.0 at idle, whereas yours is showing multiplier X 5.0.  My multiplier will max out at 34 when I stress the system.  Does your multiplier and core speed increase as you stress your NUC (like during GeekTest)?  I'm wondering if SpeedStep is disabled in your BIOS (BTW, which BIOS version are you using?)

I'm not sure what all this means, but I hope it helps you.

Larry

• 7. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                      spoiledmilk

Thanks Larry, i really appreciate your help.

Mine is always 500mhz in cpu-z. In ubuntu its showing 499-501mhz. Even when watching youtube or a local 1080p video the system lags. My raspberry pi plays them smoothly.

As far as i know im using the latest, could you share your bios version?

Ill give it one last shot before i ask amazon for a replacement. Ill shoulder some of the shopping cost but it is what it is.

• 8. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                        byrdchem

Ricky,

My BIOS version is 0348 (released 7/30/15); the latest is 0350 (released 8/18/15).  (Make sure to use default settings at first.)

My Graphics driver is 15.40.4.64.4256 (shows as 10.18.15.4256 with device manager)

Having Intel's driver for the IRIS Pro 6100 graphics is critical to performance!  Double check that..

it does sound odd that your core CPU speed never moves off 500 MHz.  It should dynamically adjust to load.  When I watch a 1080p video on YouTube, core speed jumps to 3000-3400 MHz.

Good luck,

Larry

• 9. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                          N.Scott.Pearson

Ricky,

Byrdchem brings up an important point. Sometimes, resetting to BIOS defaults doesn't reset all parameters. Make sure that SpeedStep is enabled in Visual BIOS.

...S

• 10. Re: help needed. nuc5i7ryh is painfully slow. Clock spd is 500mhz
                            spoiledmilk

Hi,

I just want to put a closure to this issue.  I believe its hardware related my multiplier was fixed at 5 at all times thats why my cpu mhz is always 500.  I asked amazon for a replacement a few nights back and received it today.  My cpu z is showing 3100-3400 as my clock speed.

Thanks for all the replies

Ricky