Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

Intel Centrino wireless N-2230 card works with WIN 8 x64 Intel driver versions: 15.5.x and 15.10.3.2 - all other other versions including latest Intel drivers fail in both win 8, 8.1 and Win 10 x64

JBaco
Beginner

Intel Centrino wireless N-2230 card works with WIN 8 x64 Intel driver versions: 15.5.x and 15.10.3.2 - all other versions including latest Intel drivers fail in both win 8, 8.1 and Win 10 x64

Using an HP ENVY m6-1158CA

For sure I thought that my wireless card was failing but seeing that I am now using Intel driver 15.10.3.2 for Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 - it seems to work on WIN 8 x64.

I tried the latest Intel drivers and I have to keep resetting the adapter!

So, I would like to inform Intel - take a look at how Intel Driver 15.10.3.2 was written and incorporate the desired code into the latest driver release and please be sure to test this card with Windows 10.

In Windows 10 x64, I kept having to reset the wireless adapter every few minutes.

I am sending my laptop to HP to have this wireless card replaced but if they give me the same card, I am pretty sure that I can expect the same problems - UNLESS the card is physically failing and that's why the latest drivers will not work. But... I am beginning to doubt that. The hardware diagnostic on the WLAN module PASSED.

That does not mean however that every circuit in that card is being tested. It is a general functionality test so it could have very well slipped through the cracks.

Anyone care to comment on this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello techuser1010,

On Windows*10, the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 should work with the inbox drivers (version 15.16.0.2) provided by the OS. Intel does not provide drivers for this adapter on this version of Windows*.

Have checked with HP* if they have any updates. We recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer first to see if they have any updates available as we understand this wireless card came installed by factory, correct?

What were the latest driver you used for Windows* 8 and 8.1 that didn't work?

0 Kudos
JBaco
Beginner

Hi there,

For this wireless card, HP provides drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 but for Windows 10 drivers, you are asked by HP to get them from Windows update.

I recently factory reset my HP laptop. That is, I used recovery DVD's to bring it back to its original factory state therefore wiping out my Windows 10 and putting back Windows 8.0. This is done to see if wireless connectivity is stable with the factory image.

The factory image (Win 8.0) has Intel driver 15.10.3.2 installed which works great,

I downloaded and installed Intel driver 15.18.0.1 - the latest and greatest to date from the intel website.

After about 5 minutes, I keep getting a limited connection and have to reset the wireless adapter.

Now, I have looked on the web for solutions and one of them was to put the power saver on the wireless adapter to Maximum performance as the default is set to Medium Power Saving.

Once I did this, I regained stability.

I am still testing this out to see if my wifi will lose connectivity again.

0 Kudos
JBaco
Beginner

Just did a few more tests by fooling around with the power saver settings.

So, what I found out is the following.

With Intel Driver 15.18.0.1:

Putting the wireless adapter power saver setting to MEDIUM POWER SAVING will cause connectivity issues. After about 5 minutes, you will get a yellow exclamation mark in the system tray on the wireless icon.

Solution: Go back into POWER SAVER - > Advanced settings -> Wireless adapter and set it to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

Without even needing to disable and re-enable the adapter, connectivity was restored!

I'm gonna try this a few more times but I think I found the answer.

And if this is the case, that means that driver 15.10.3.2 overrides the wireless adapter power setting.

Also to note - I am running on Battery so I made the changes to the battery section and not the Plugged in section.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

techuser1010,

Intel recommends that you always use the drivers and updates offered offered by your computer manufacturer. Our drivers are generic and may not meet all the requirements of your system. Set the maximum performance on plugged in as well to assure you will maintain a steady connection. Thank you for sharing your results with us.

0 Kudos