9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 8:14 AM by JPMontero_Intel

How to set multiple login consoles in Galileo?

shubham_k

Hi guys, I'm using Intel Galileo Gen2. Conventionally , it uses ttyS1 as the default serial console for login. I want one more login console to work on. I attached a PL2303 USB-Serial cable to the USB host port of Gen2 Board and the other end of the cable went to the serial port of the PC. On Galileo, the file ttyUSB0 was created as a result of this connection, and the same on the PC was ttyS0. I made changes in the grub.conf file by adding console=ttyUSB0. So the configuration finally looked as follows:-

title Quark X1000 kernel-MassStorage initrd-MassStorage RootFS-MassStorage IMR-On IO-APIC/HPET NoEMU debug

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyUSB0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,$EARLY_CON_ADDR_REPLACE,115200n8 reboot=efi,warm apic=debug rw LABEL=boot debugshell=5 rootimage=image-full-quark.ext3

initrd /core-image-minimal-initramfs-quark.cpio.gz

I also learnt that in order for the init process to recognize the serial console , I need to add the following line in /etc/inittab file:-   USB0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyUSB0.

The problem is that this /etc/inittab file is not present in the sd card image of Yocto. So, what should I do in order to use my desired new login console in Galileo Gen2 ? I also tried by just making the changes in grub.conf and booting the Board. But the serial console didn't come up on ttyUSB0.

Waiting for your replies. Thanks.

Message was edited by: Shubham Kumar