cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 80GB G2 M HP HDX18 OS will not load?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed the SSD 80gb G2 easily.. and went to bios and even scanned the drive.. no problems.. but the recovery disk from HP which to my knowledge is just Vista 64 sp1.. will load past the 99% mark.. I am so sorry to bug you guys / gals with this.. but I am on my 7th try to get it loaded?

Am I missing a step? do I need to mod the BIOS? HP locks the BIOS with use of Insyde..

I have a second HDD in the laptop which I just pulled out and discounected the SSD and reconnected it.. and I am hoping that this changes something.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Be well, JW

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi JWnfl,

What are you trying to do? The recovery disk partition is a special partition that can only be used with HP recovery utility.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed the SSD and I then put in the "System Recovery DVD" Windows Vista Home Premium SP1... and it kind of has a mind of its own.. I did boot out in start up to the f3 and f4 (dont quote the f keys I am saying here) and ran disk check.. the short and long all the way through.. no problems..

But.. windows vista.. from the HP recovery disk as sent from HP will not finish loading.. 99%! thats it.. so close.. but sooooooooooooooooooooo far 8 hours to get the 1% remaining and still not there..

Thanks for any direction and sorry to trouble you with noob questions.

Be well, JW

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

okay. I think i know what you are trying to do and it won't work. I had an HP and in order for the HP recovery utility to work the partitions had to be EXACTLY as HP set them up. So the first thing is to make sure your SSD has exactly the same partitions as the HDD. Install your HDD, then look at all the partitions that HP created for it. If i'm not mistaken there is a "hidden" partition. After that partition your SSD the same way. Then try the recovery disk.

I know I had issues with the recovery utility when trying to restore to a drive that was not the same size.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok...

After installing the SSD...

After running the Recovery Disk (operating system Vista 64 Home Premium)...

It seemed to freeze at 99%... 5 minutes left..

What I did wrong.... I thought 5 minutes was an accurate time frame.. after 45 minutes of looking at 5 minutes left.. it did install..

I would wait 15 or 20 minutes and pull the power and battery to shut it down and start over.. maybe 10 plus times..

If the hard drive light is solid and it says 5 minutes and its at 99%... just ignore it.. the recovery disk will self eject after.. call it an hour.. and the install will take..

I have an HDX 18 with a Q-9000 and 8gb of factory samsung ram.. I did pull the second HDD out as well.. but I dont think that is the cause.. I have another to install on a HDX 18 with a Q-9000.. the only difference would be the ram.. is 4gb instead of 8gb.. I will leave the second HDD in the caddy for that install and I will ignore the 5 minutes left showing and see if it takes.. if it does I will repost..

I will also provide before and after bench marks for the drives..

Thank you for being helpful... Thank you for replying.. it sounds silly but I did not feel all alone it the problem.. YOU ROCK!

Be well, JW