3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 8:42 AM by PeteB

How can I boot an Edison custom image on VirtualBox?

Steven Moy

There are many articles about building a custom edison image within virtual machine. However, I haven't been able to find a way to boot the custom edison image inside VirtualBox.

I am working on some programs targeting the edison. It will speed up my development process if I can boot the custom image (or even the official intel edison image) within VirtualBox. I understand I need to validate my final code on the device.

Thanks,

Steven

• 1. Re: How can I boot an Edison custom image on VirtualBox?
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi stevenmoy,

If you want to test your Edison image in your PC first I highly suggest you to use the Edison’s SDK. Check out the Native Applications Guide on how to set it up. I hope this works as an alternative to what you are trying to do.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: How can I boot an Edison custom image on VirtualBox?
            Steven Moy

After reading the guide, it seems like i can't work without an edison module. It sorta works but just not ideal since I have to deploy the code to the device. Coming from programming iOS & Android and web, its nice to just code in a cafe with just a single laptop without all the additional accessories. The iOS simulator & Android emulator (especially the Intel accelerated ones) really speed up development. I was hoping Yocto has a similar method to be booted inside VirtualBox. I guess the big issue is edison image's bootloader is u-boot, and it doesn't easily work in VirtualBox.

I was thinking if one can uses a different boot loader and then load the root partition of the rest of edison image, one can still test busy box (shell related things), and easily run through the C/C++ programs without actually using an actual edison device.

• 3. Re: How can I boot an Edison custom image on VirtualBox?
              PeteB

There are a host of issues related to doing what you want and u-boot isn't one of them. The short answer is that Intel could create a simulator based on QEmu, or invent their own, but that's quite a bit of work. Depends on the priorities and team size for them. Not sure what Apple uses as it's VM underneath it's simulator, but I would guess they invented their own as they build their own chips and such. The same for Google, but I suspect their simulator is just a bunch of Java, and not really a HW VM. This isn't a Yocto problem, as you can build Yocto targets for QEmu directly for ARM, X86, and MIPS, it's an Intel HW simulation problem.

Also, most of what people would be doing with an Edison requires the GPIO and other interfaces, which really can't be simulated. You might be able to test some general purpose code, but would not be able to toggle a GPIO or do PWM that would be connected to anything.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one from Intel. As upset as I am at the current SW support for a device that is several years old now, this would be a limited value add on for most people.