What do you mean with silently exits? Is your goal to install El Capitan in the Edison? I haven’t seen any threads or information related to El Capitan so I’m not sure if there are any limitations. Maybe if you explain your goal in more detail I’ll be able to find more information.
Hi Sergio, thanks for your response. Sorry I wasn't clear. My goal is to install the "IOT Developers Kit" on my Mac which is currently running OS X 10.11 public beta 5.
- I have downloaded, unzipped, and untarred the installer.
- I can successfully install this kit on a 10.10.5 system.
- I attempt to run the same installer on 10.11 (by double-clicking on the app file in my downloads folder), there is a brief flash of the icon as the app launches, then it (apparently) exits. No error message.
- If I attempt to run the installer from Terminal ("open -a iot_dev_kit_2015.0.009.app"), it appears to launch as expected, showing the "Select installation mode" dialog.
- Interestingly, this dialog doesn't let me deselect "Install as Administrator"
- If I select "Next", I get an "Authorization failure" dialog.
- Makes me wonder if this is related to running the installer as "root" - I'll try that next.
@Intel_Alvarado - quick update
- Attempted the same steps on 10.11, logged in as Administrator.
- double-click launch silently fails as reported above.
- The installer in question comes from the Mac OS X link on IoT - Intel® Edison Board Download | Intel® Developer Zone
Do you have Java enabled, what are your Java settings? Also can you post a picture of the message you get when running from terminal?
You can also try to ask for OSX support in OS X El Capitan for Developers - Apple Developer . They might be able to provide some insight to this issue.
Thanks for your response, sergio. Here are some answers to your questions.
- Yes, Java is enabled (Version 8, Update 60).
- There are a lot of Java settings - are there some in particular you'd like to see?
- There's not any output to see in the terminal window itself. The dialog boxes are pretty basic, and listed in step 4 above.
One thing that would help a lot is just to know whether this kit has been successfully installed by anyone at Intel or in the community. I'm happy to help diagnose, but it it's known not to work, I'll just wait for the appropriate OS X and/or IOT_DEV_KIT versions to be released.
The El Capitan software will be validated once the OS is not beta.
Thank you Sergio. Totally understand how difficult it is to support a beta OS platform. Now that El Capitan GM is available, I look forward to taking advantage of all of Intel's effort in making an easy to consume combined dev-kit, so if I can help by beta testing the next IOT-DEV-KIT bits, please let me know.