5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 12:31 PM by DavidGS

SPI on Intel Edison Mini Breakout not working

DavidGS

I'm running Linux ubilinux 3.10.17-yocto-standard-r2 #7 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 26 09:57:06 UTC 2015 i686 GNU/Linux on my Intel edison with a mini breakout board (NOT the arduino board!) and am having a devil of a time getting SPI to function correctly.

I am currently attempting to use mraa as the library, but am still getting no good result. I'm using the Node.js portion of mraa right now, but I have written a small c++ program, which fails in the same way.

If I simply put a jumper between J17-12 and J-18-11 and write a series of bytes out via SPI, they a=do, indeed, get echoed back correctly. So I know I have toe right pins, However, once I bring SCLK and CS into the picture, things go pear-shaped. CS is J17-10 and SCLK is J17-11, according to the data sheet, but once I actually hook my SPI board up via all these connections, SPI ceases to function correctly. At least my board doesn't react well to it.

I can hook the same board to an Adafruit FT232-H SPI dongle and write/read SPI to/from it just fine, but attempting to do the same writes/reads via the edison fails. (All return values are 0xFF and they should not be).

As we are all aware, the documentation for the edison is ... umm ... sorely lacking, so trying to debug this is difficult.