6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 6:57 AM by DWNuc815

NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?

DWNuc815

NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?

I need to re-flash the BIOS, as the NUC is non-responsive.

Background:

- I attempted initial start-up (no OS)

- I am instructed to cycle the unit off and on.

- I press the power button to turn it off, however the unit stays on with no indication it's shutting down

- Unplug the power supply.

- Plug the power supply into unit

- Power on unit

- NUC is non-responsive.

Observations:

- press power button on

• power button light does not turn on
      • no beeps or signals indicating any problems
      • blank monitor
      • keyboard keys not functioning (indicator lights not on)

- can hear the CPU fan start

- runs for ~30 seconds

- fan stops running for ~5 seconds, then hear fan start up again

- repeats cycle indefinitely  (I do not touch power button after first time)

I'm expecting that the BIOS is now corrupt. I've hunted all over the INTEL drivers and downloads but cannot find any BIOS related to this NUC to do a recovery.

THANKS

• 1. Re: NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?
          N.Scott.Pearson

There is no specific "Recovery BIOS", per se. You want to use the latest BIOS that is available in the download center for your NUC. Download it and follow the instructions for recovery found here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034524.htm

...Scott

• 2. Re: NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?
            mikec_intel

Hi DWNuc815,

Please let us know if you were able to fix the issue with your NUC.

Regards,
            Mike C

• 3. Re: NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?
              DWNuc815

I was unable to find the original BIOS version for this NUC.  I did call INTEL support and tried to get into the BIOS by removing the jumper on the board, but we were unable to find a solution.  INTEL is going to be replacing the unit.

Thanks for all your assistance.

• 4. Re: NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?
                DWNuc815

UPDATE: as of today Intel will be sending me a 2nd replacement NUC5PPYH.  When I received the 1st replacement, I was able to get Win10 to install from the CD/DVD, however once installed and the system restarts, the unit is back to the original problem - it is unresponsive and all the USB/VGA/HDMI ports do not function.  I've noticed that someone else is having the same issue NUC5PPYH won't display anthing and suggest that they return the unit to the retailer as not working.

In my case, the support person at Intel believes that the HDD I'm using is not/may not be compatible with the system, so I'm going to replace the drive with one that is (the retailer I bought from has no problem with this).  I'm just hoping that this will fix the issue and I won't have to go through this again - although Intel support has been fantastic and very cooperative!

Once I have an operational Win10 system, I'll post what the solution is.

• 5. Re: NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?
                  Cesar Badilla

Hello DWNuc815,

Could you please provide more information about the restart issue?

When does it happen? Is it after POST screen, or after loading the Windows* 10 OS?

Additionally, please provide the Current BIOS version installed on your Intel® NUC5PPYH

If you are able to access the Windows* 10 Operating System, you may try installing the latest drivers from here:  Intel® Download Center

Regards,

Caesar B,

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 6. Re: NUC5PPYH - Can someone please tell me what the current recovery BIOS version is for this?
                    DWNuc815

Alas, I returned the 3rd INTEL NUC to the retail outlet I purchased it from and received a full refund.

Out of the 3 tries to install windows 10 only once did it manage to copy the files to the system drive, then reboot and never get back to the Intel splash screen.  So, I couldn't get into the BIOS to try a recovery.  I know that the WIN10 files were there, because I inspected the drive on another PC.

In the other 2 tries, I'd press F10 to ensure that the disk was the first boot device (as per instructions on website for installing OS).  In both cases it would do nothing, it would just cycle on and off as described in my initial question.  There was nothing on the monitor trying both the HDMI and VGA as the outputs were non-responsive and the monitor would go into power-save mode because it was not receiving a signal and I'm assuming the same fate for all USB inputs ( used for keyboard and mouse and as noted by others on this forum).

I tried all the tricks like removing the jumper, swapping the jumper posts, pressing and holding the Power on switch for 3 seconds.  There was something strange about the last one (Power on) in that I had speakers hooked up to the unit but I'd never hear the tones that are described in the documentation, the unit would just shut down.  I know the unit was operational, because I'd remove the memory and get the 3 beeps as stated in the documentation.  The unit just got itself into a state that it could never recover from and without being able to see anything on a monitor, it just led to frustration.

All that said, the guys at Intel Chat Support were phenomenal.  Helped guide me through the various scenarios to see if there was any steps I'd missed and very co-operative when it came to replacing the unit (RMA's).

One last thing, if there was anything that I'd like to see INTEL improve upon it would be the documentation - it was lacking in so many ways and in some cases very convoluted.

Cheers

DW