12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 11:41 PM by Duncan

DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work

raholco

I Ran the latest express BIOS upgrade for the DQ35JO in Vista. It booted and ran the BIOS upgrade successfuly.

However, when it went to reboot, it just throws up a blank screen with a lone cursor in the upper left-hand corner and the HD light on solid.

Attempted to do BIOS Recovery from USB flash drive and CDROM. The BIOS recovery does not work-I see no activity on either the CDROM or the flash drive and the screen is pure black with no signal.

Oddly enough, if I put the jumper in configure mode, it POSTS and brings up the BIOS maintenance screens.

I am really at a loss here-I've never have had any problems with updates prior to this, and the worse part is that it appears the BIOS recover is shot.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
          salim.s

Hello,

Am having the same problem as raholco .  Updated my mobo (DQ35JO) with the latest bios (Ver JO1126P.BIO) through the Express Updater.  On reboot, a blank screen !!

Tried everything about Bios recovery, such as Thumb Flash Drive & CD Rom Drive with bootable and non-bootable media....notthing good came out

Please kindly advise what can be done next to remedy this problem.

Am running 4 Gig RAM, CPU Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2 HD of 500 Gig Sata (non Raid).

Thank you

• 2. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
            tex2xx

Here's quick suggestion, check in the new bios for your hard drive protocal, that is IDE, Raid, or AHCI make sure that it set to your needs.

Also, loading optimal settings after a bios upgrade is a good practice.  Be sure to log down your individual settings first.

Tex.

• 3. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
              salim.s

Hi Tex,

Thanks for replying.

Good suggestion, but i have already checked at this issue.  Hey i didn't know that i have to load Optimal Settings when entring the bios.... thanks for the advice dude. I can only try this if and only if my mobo is able to start again !

Right now am trying different things.  Will post something to this thread by tomorrow.

Thanks again

Salim

• 4. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                tex2xx

Think about trying disconnecting all the power and signal connections to hard drive, cd, floppy ( if so) and do the recover bios procedure with a usb / F7.

Tex.

• 5. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                  salim.s

Hi,

Here's an update about the problem i have been having regarding the BIOS issues.

1.  Disconnected all SATA Hard Drives, the SATA DVD-RW, (no floppy disk) and even the USB mouse.  I also remove all my PCI-e expansion cards.  Only keyboard is present + USB flash drive (which contains bios JO1126P.BIO) and rebooted the PC.  Diagnosis: Flash Drive led blinks for a while, and the PC restart again.  Nothing appears on the monitor, i.e. it remains on standby ! Initially i thought it was recovering the bios, but was sadly mistaken.  The PC gets restarted (after 30/45 seconds) and went on like that for 30 mins, till i had to put it off.  Result: Back to square 1

2.  Then i downloaded an old BIOS JO0954P.BIO and did the same process as above.  Diagnosis: Flash Drive led blinks for a while, Monitor gets out of standby and recovering info appears on the monitor.  No restart at all. The process of recovering was completed (3 mins duration) and a mesg appear to put back the jumper to it's normal position and to restart the PC.  After doing that, i got in the bios, sets the date, and load optimal settings.  Everything appears normal.  Bios String which appears on the main setup is JOQ3510J.86A.0954.2008.0922.2331.  Saved the changes and exit.  Switched off the PC & removed the power cable.  Connected my Hard Disks, cd and expansion cards as before.  Put back the power cable and switched on the pc.  Windows XP 32 (x86) boots normally. Result: After boot, system is damn slow.

4.  Installed Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) on second partition.  During the initial phase of the installation, the moment that "Starting Windows" appears, just after the "Windows is Loading Files", the PC reboot.  Tried to install Windows 7 (32Bit), same problem.  Searched on Intel Site and in the download section for DQ35JO in section BIOS for windows 7, we need to install either bios 1126 (latest one) or 1122.  Downloaded the 1122 one (Express Bios Upgrade) since i had so many trouble with the 1126 one, everything went well during the flashing process and upon restart.....a dead mobo as previously

5.  Now i can't even recover back the old 0954 bios that was working slowly !!!! And i tried (and keep trying) the same steps i did in (2) above.

There's definitely a problem with these DQ35JO BIOS.

Will much appreciate the Intel Support team's feedback about these inconsistencies or any expert advice.  I've been in the hardware support for 18 years now and never came across such problem with any Intel Board.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                    eaperezh

Exact behavior here but with DQ35MP boards (12 of them).

Did you come up with any solution?

• 7. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                      mechbob

SOULMATE why are you posting this stuff on this form YOU are not HELPING.

• 8. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                        Diego_Intel

Raholco,

I would recommend you to review the information posted on the article:"BIOS updates may fail on Intel® AMT systems"

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025681.htm

This was originally posted for the Intel® Desktop Board DQ965CO, Intel® Desktop Board DQ965G, and Intel® Desktop Board DQ965WC, however it applies for any Intel(R) Desktop Board with amt features

• 9. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                          RavenPhoenix

I too very innocently upgraded to the latest bios and are experiencing this exact same issue with the extremely slow boot times with the stupid flashing cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen.

After reading countless post about this issue, I can now see that this is definitely an issue with the bios. I find it really unbelievable that Intel has acknowledged this problem but have still not been able to fix it.

This is extremely disappointing and leaves a very bad mark on Intel's supportability and reliability. I work for a global blue chip company and I know if our company provided this level of service/support to our customers and clients; we would be shot by management.

INTEL please fix this issue and provide the level of support a company of your stature should really be providing.

• 10. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work

Hi everyone,

Did anyone ever come up with a fix for this? I'm encountering the same issues. A dead MB and Intel saying "Sorry, we don't support that MB anymore"

Thanks,

mike        

• 11. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                              salim.s

Hi Mike,

I have already thrown away that Motherboard and since then, all the Mobo's am buying, am making sure that it is a NON-INTEL one ! If we cannot get the support from these technical guys at Intel for a simple issue of BIOS, i don't see the reason why we should continue to buy Intel brands. Been very frustrated since that my last post   . Am done with this.

Cheers

• 12. Re: DQ35JO Express BIOS Upgrade Failed; BIOS Recovery doesn't work
                                Duncan

We have hundreds of these at work and this has happened to me before.  I had updated the BIOS and changed many of the settings in the BIOS but I didn't know what had caused this.  I have now narrowed it down to one setting causing the black screen with a solid cursor in the top left that appears after an add-in graphics card message but before the F2 intel splash screen.

By changing ACHI to IDE the system now works fine.

To change the setting put the jumper in configure mode.  You may also want to follow Diego_Intel's advice and reset Intel ME to factory defaults and maybe reset BIOS settings to factory defaults (F9).

I don't know why ACHI causes problems and if it is bios version specific or hard drive specific.  If you previously had the OS running on ACHI I would recommend deleting all disk partitions and reinstalling the OS after changing the bios to IDE - not doing this may explain why the OS runs very slowly.