7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 10:45 AM by David_Harry

No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.

David_Harry

Hi.

I'm just putting together a new system based around the DN2820FYKH. I'm using 2GB of compatible RAM and a 1TB drive. My problem is that I'm not getting a video output, not even any initial BIOS startup. The power light is solid, which I assume means that everything is OK.

I've got hard wired USB mouse and keyboard for the initial installation. The keyboard usually has a slight flicker on power up when connected to my workstation, but not on the NUC and Num Lock, Caps or Scroll don't indicate either.

I've also tried three different monitors and two HDMI cables, which all work in any combination on my workstation.

is there a possibility that it could be a memory issue, although there is nothing indicating a memory error?

If I power up with no memory should I still get a video output?

Is there any instance where I should see a video out, even if the drive or RAM where at fault or not connected?

Or does the unit need memory to share for the GPU, and without it won't show video?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just going a little mad trying to get it working. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 1. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
          jasonNUC

Hi David_Harry,

If you're not even getting a BIOS screen, I would start with the memory.  What memory are you using?  Do you have another stick you can try?  Is this a brand new unit?  Are you using the power adapter that came with the NUC?  If you power it up without memory installed you will see no output. Try it without memory and watch the power light.  Then try it with the memory and see if the power light behaves the same.

One of the more common issues with the DN2820s was incompatible memory, because that was the first generation to require low voltage (ddr3l/1.35v rather than ddr3/1.5v) memory.

Jason

• 2. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
            David_Harry

Hi Jason.

I'm away from the system right now and can't remember what memory it was, although it was 1.35v Everything is brand new.

From what you are describing, it sounds likely to be the memory. I am just about to order different memory from Crucial, I'll use their memory guide.

One other thing if you don't mind. I've gone for this basic NUC first off in order to test the platform. The idea is to replace a few older desktops if things work out. Is it possible to install XP onto the NUC platform? I have a CD printer that only goes up to XP for its drivers.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 3. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
              jasonNUC

Hi David_Harry,

It would be interesting to know what the model of the memory is, if you get the chance.  If it's 1.35v you should be ok, but I have seen some cases of incompatibility.

Now for your XP question, that's a tough one.  Yes, hardware-wise the DN2820 is perfectly capable of running XP.  The issue is drivers.  The NUC was never meant for older OSes, and when it was introduced drivers were limited to current operating systems. That means in many cases there just aren't compatible XP drivers for some components.  I've read that people have had limited success installing XP drivers in Windows 7 and 8, but that seems to be hit and miss.  As for installing XP on the box, I can't say I've tried it.  I would suspect XP will install but you'll end up with devices that can't find drivers.

You might have better luck using a new OS and installing the XP drivers.

By the way, I've used the DN2820 as a desktop replacement and it works great!

Please do update here on how things are going...I'd like to know if it was a memory issue, and also how things go with XP.

Jason

• 4. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
                David_Harry

Hi Jason.

Thanks again for your input.

I've ordered 4GB of CT6052810 from Crucial, it should be with me in the next few days. I'll let you know how I get on and let you know what the other Hynix memory was.

As for the XP thing, I'll just have to try it out and see how it goes. The only driver I'm concerned about is the USB one and main chipset, I could actually live with the basic 16 colour graphics driver and lack of certain peripheral. The driver for the printer won't work under Win7 32, so does have to be XP. The print software basically takes a flat PNG that has already been prepared from CD on body text artwork from Photoshop. The machine I'm using at the moment is an old Dell Mini 9, which is fine as all the hard work  has already been done on a workstation and the Mini is just printing flat image files. Although the 2820 will easily do this job, I can't wait to try out other stuff.

I've been a fan from the start of the Atom CPU, and am basically replacing a few Atom netbooks and Desktops. While I haven't got the NUC running yet, I tested its power draw at startup. With a mechanical drive, the whole unit was only pulling 6.9w While I understand this will be more under an OS fully utilising the CPU. It already looks to be an amazing Eco option for my day to day work machines.

If all goes well, I'll be looking into a more capable NUC for running the Adobe Cloud software. Although I won't expect the 2820 to be able to handle Photoshop very well, I will try it out anyway. I will also post and maybe do YouTube videos of my NUC uses and setups.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 5. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
                  jasonNUC

Hi Dave,

That does look like compatible memory, so at least you can eliminate memory as an issue.  I agree the DN2820 wouldn't be a good choice for Photoshop.  I don't use photoshop myself, but based on what others have said you'll want to aim higher, with more memory.  Beyond the processing power, the i3, i5, and i7 models have 2 memory slots so you get the performance benefit of dual channels.

Good luck!

Jason

• 6. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
                    marving_intel

Hello David_Harry,

I see here that you were going to test with another RAM to discard it as a root cause of the issue you reported so I was wondering if you can provide us with your findings. As jasonNUC said it seems that the Crucial RAM that you have is compatible with your NUC so if you have the same issue at least you can discard the RAM. Another troubleshooting step to see if you get video is testing without the drive and also, if possible, removing the yellow jumper that is on the motherboard of the NUC and then turn the system on and see if you get anything on screen.

Thank you in advance for your help on this.

Best regards,

marving_intel

• 7. Re: No video signal from my new DN2820FYKH NUC.
                      David_Harry

Hi.

Sorry I completely forgot to update. Yes, it was the memory, everything is all good now. Thanks for the help.

After a short while testing the 2820 and also a  5PPYH, I find them to be OK although the 5PPYH isn't that much better and even a little worse in certain scenarios. I'm not knocking them, as I kind of knew what to expect. They are really nice small machines and look great under the TV or in the office. I just don't think they are as quite as powerful as I was expecting.

To be fair with my assessment I've been comparing them both to the Acer Revo One RL85. The Acer is based on an older dual core Celeron and what on paper is a lesser GPU. Even though its age would suggest it to be a less powerful machine, it is noticeably better than either of the two low powered NUCs, and in nearly every test that I've done. These tests include basic Adobe work, file and media serving, plus live video transcoding/streaming (Plex).

The NUCs are brilliant OpenElec machines, as is the Acer. This is where I see the low end NUCs finding a foothold, that and basic office, web, cloud type applications. The NUCs are also great little Steam machines with less demanding titles. They are also good for video previewing, even the 2820 is capable of previewing Sony XAVC S UHD 25FPS footage at 1080, something the Acer can't. I could see them being cool little video assist machines in a wider post production environment.

It's fair to say that the i3,5 and 7 machines are what should be used for some of the stress tests that I've done, but the Acer really did do a good to great job of this. Because of the Acer's unexpected performance, I wont be looking at the more powerful NUCs just yet. I will wait to see what comes out using SkyLake in the NUC form factor.

Cheers,

Dave.