# ethtool -i p1p1
firmware-version: f4.40 a1.4 n04.53 e80001da6
2. The adapter is installed into the server, which is 10km far from me. So I write numbers from a box:
Product Code: X710DA4FH
We recently got a batch (8) XL710 dual 40G cards, so I read the discussion with interest. It's somewhat a surprise to me to see you said that the latest latest Linux* driver. It should be 1.3.38. I have actually updated all our CentOS 7.1 with this release.
I don't speak for Intel as I don't work there But I am keenly aware from browsing Linux kernel source that Intel is one of the most active contributor to Linux kernel (especially drivers). If you use Linux tools such as modinfo .... you will actually see the name(s) of Intel engineer(s) who created and maintain the driver, and often, the mentioning of the sourceforge.net Intel driver site. BTW, the e1000 driver site hosted on sourceforge are all Intel engineers (actual driver developers included), so IMHO it's safe to use them. You will however, be skillful and knowledgable enough to do it right.
It would be best to install the latest version now for new features and improvements. See below for the changes in this version.
changelog for i40e 184.108.40.206
* Ensure bridge mode defaults to VEPA
* Update pci.updates.in
* Updated support for nvmupdate tool
* Update fw version text string to match previous product formats
* Add support for new devices and move device ids into a separate file
* Add promiscuous on VLAN support
* Add a counter for drops in netstat interface
* Add ethtool support to dump VEB per TC stats
* Add rx to port crc errors label
* Add support to program ntuple rules via ethtool, for the VF from the PF
* Add ATR support for tunneled TCP/IPv4/IPv6 packets.
* Add stats to count Tunnel ATR hits
* Implement ndo_features_check()
* Enable VMDQ and NPAR co-existence support
* Prune the startup messages
* Default to the DCB config when SW DCB is enabled
* Enable WoL operation by default if the configuration is WoL capable
* Clean up various error status messages
* Refactor Interrupt Throttle Rate code for improvements and bug fixes
* Fix the ethtool offline diagnostic
* Limit shutdown activities if in debug mode
* Changes to transmit write back to avoid tx hangs
Source: README.txt, updated 2015-09-04